Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive tried raw before and it was no interest with any of the dogs.Well today was butcher day and I took the smallest rabbit cut it into 6 pieces and barely seared in a frying pan with a little salt and garlic so it tasted more like people food..I gave each dog a whole piece bones and all...It seems so against everything feeding them bones.Searing the meat shouldnt have made the bones splintery right? What if they swallow it whole will they still digest it?
I hope they dont go barfing this stuff up later.
Chihuahua and two italians got little pieces, the rest got bigger stuff and I kinda split up the liver and kidneys...The cat got the lungs and bits(she has kittens and really loved it).
Puppy got the biggest leg and she had no problem chewing it down.Boston Terrier acted like the poor little piglet he is (he is on steroids and just stuffing himself lately).
So I doubt I can feed them raw all the time but I can give them raw meals at least once maybe twice a week.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
So I doubt I can feed them raw all the time but I can give them raw meals at least once maybe twice a week.
Searing the meat quickly in the pan to just cook the very outer surface will not affect the bones.

Why can't you give them raw all the time?

If you can only give one raw meal a week, I really wouldn't suggest it.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Feeding raw only occasionally may not be a good idea. Kibble takes longer to digest in the gut. And raw moves through quicker. So sometimes you can get a weird gi issue. When my one of my dogs got into a visitor's bowl of kibble after eating her own raw meal she chucked up everything a few hours later...and nothing had digested at all. So it is usually suggested that you separate kibble meals and raw meals by AT LEAST 12 hours.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When my one of my dogs got into a visitor's bowl of kibble after eating her own raw meal she chucked up everything a few hours later...and nothing had digested at all.
My puppy also ate another dog's kibble even though I feed him raw--LOL! I thought it was funny but I was also upset, I spend all this extra time and money to feed him the good stuff, and then he eats another dog's Ol' Roy!!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have given my dogs raw treats for ages. It seems to me that a treat less than 1/2 their daily feed doesn't upset them. I would see how it goes in the next couple of days and adjust from there.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Some people feed both without any problems at all but to be on the safe side, especially if your dog has a sensitive stomach, it would probably be a good idea to fast them for one kibble meal prior to feeding a raw meal. For example if you feed a kibble meal in the morning, skip the evening meal (assuming you feed twice a day) and feed the raw meal the following morning. This way the dog has had plenty of time to digest the kibble.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They didnt have any problems with it.Except for the boston who had some killer gas.But he is prone to gas anyways. I like the idea of taking one day a week at first and putting the kibble bowls up(I free feed) for the night and then feeding them raw the next day.
I will see how that goes for a bit.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Why cant you just feed them raw all the time?
Forget cooking searing just give it to them raw. Don't let your dogs tell you what they will and wont eat?

If raw is what you want to feed them give them raw. If they wont eat it don't feed them anything else. They will eventually eat it. Dogs are not that picky nor stupid enough to starve themselves.

You can also try feeding once a day. My dogs are doing great with a once a day meal and it makes preparing even easier.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First off I have 2 italian greyhounds and they have a very fast metabolism.One of them Im constantly having to feed higher calorie food to just to keep a little meat on her bones.
Second I have 6 dogs and cant afford to feed them fifty pounds of raw meat a week..
Seriously our dogs total out at 130lbs and one is just a puppy that will soon add another 50lbs to that at least.
So if you feed 10 percent of their body weight daily thats 7x13, thats like 91lbs of meat a week...I dont think so.I raise rabbits and they are 2lbs butchered I couldnt even put a dent in that..

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i think that you may have the percentage wrong. you feed an adult dog 2-4% of their ideal weight in raw food a day, not 10%. 10% is for a puppy. you feed 10% of the puppy' weight, or 2-4% of the puppy's ideal adult weight.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
10%? Good GOD.

You should be feeding 2-3% body weight to an adult dog.

As a reference, I also have 120 lbs of dog in the house and it totals 3 pounds of meat daily. it averages about 2$ a day, 60$ a month. That's LESS than a high quality kibble.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I guess I was justing thinking about the puppies amount.I also dont know where I got 7x13 it should have been a 6...Okay so lets see if I can get the math right then..Just the 5 adult dogs are a total of 108 lbs.So figuring 3 percent would be, about 3.2 lbs of food a day. So thats around 21lbs of food a week for just the adult dogs.Does this include bone weight or just meat?
Puppy is 30lbs and growing.So she needs 3lbs just in herself which is another 21lbs of food aweek for a grand total of 42lbs of meat a week for now but the vet said Sasha will be about 70lbs full grown so thats going to add more as she grows so I was right when I said about 50lbs a week. So can someone check my math and see if I figured that right?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
We need to know how much your dogs weigh in order to check the math? It seems a little high to me if at least 2 of the dogs are italian greyhounds. Each of your dogs would have to weigh 100 lbs to need 3 lbs of food a day. If you give me the breakdown of weight for each dog, I'll figure it out for you and type up how I got that number.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If the puppy is going to end up at 70 pounds, she'll be eating 2 pounds a day, or 14 a week. Add that to the 21 from your other adult dogs and it's 35 pounds a week. Depending on how active your dogs are, it can actually be less. My dogs are at 2.5% body weight in meat, and they generally are run 3-5 miles a day at absolute minimum.

Yes, that weight includes bone and water. It's the whole weight of the food.

I guess I was justing thinking about the puppies amount.I also dont know where I got 7x13 it should have been a 6...Okay so lets see if I can get the math right then..Just the 5 adult dogs are a total of 108 lbs.So figuring 3 percent would be, about 3.2 lbs of food a day. So thats around 21lbs of food a week for just the adult dogs.Does this include bone weight or just meat?
Puppy is 30lbs and growing.So she needs 3lbs just in herself which is another 21lbs of food aweek for a grand total of 42lbs of meat a week for now but the vet said Sasha will be about 70lbs full grown so thats going to add more as she grows so I was right when I said about 50lbs a week. So can someone check my math and see if I figured that right?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
okay here are the dogs weights
10lb italian
13lb italian high energy, is thin and needs extra food in winter especially
8 lb chihuahua
22lb boston terrier
55lb border collie, he is probably a little overweight, but he is 12yrs old and pretty inactive these days.
the pup was 30lbs at the vet this last week, she is 13 weeks old.
All get daily exersize. either a good run in the fields or at the lake or walks on the leash.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
10lb italian (5 oz)
13lb italian high energy, is thin and needs extra food in winter especially(6 oz)
8 lb chihuahua (4 oz)
22lb boston terrier (7 oz)
55lb border collie (1 lb)
the pup was 30lbs at the vet this last week, she is 13 weeks old. (3 lbs)
All get daily exersize. either a good run in the fields or at the lake or walks on the leash.
Those are daily values. You can split that into however many meals you want. I feed once a day. This is just under 5 and a half pounds a day.

Keep the puppy at 10% of her body weight until she is full grown, or looks like she's getting fat. I recommend keeping puppies really lean to keep pressure off of their growing joints. If she's getting any fat on her, dial it back a % at a time until you get her at the right amount. Once the puppy is full grown, she will actually eat *less*. If she ends up at 70 pounds, she will eat about 2 pounds a day.

This is just going by the % I've used for my dogs. They are absolutely ideal weights.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
10lb italian (5 oz)
13lb italian high energy, is thin and needs extra food in winter especially(6 oz)
8 lb chihuahua (4 oz)
22lb boston terrier (7 oz)
55lb border collie (1 lb)
the pup was 30lbs at the vet this last week, she is 13 weeks old. (3 lbs)
Keep in mind those are are just starting out values. You can adjust up and down as needed . With dogs that small you might only be off by 1/4 or 1/2 an ounce. Your first step would be to invest in a kitchen scale. You won't be able to eye ball amounts that small. Also join some yahoo raw feeding groups. That will really help on those final few concerns you have after doing your research.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
For my small dogs I bought a digital postal scale at Costco. It is perfect for measuring out the small amounts for their meals since between the three of them each meal totals 4.4 oz...for three dogs.

For the Iggy that needs to keep weight on you can either increase the ration to 3-4% of body weight or be sure that he gets the fattier cuts from the meat you are serving. I think you would also find that if you feed a whole animla (cut up and served over time) that there is a lot more fat that humans would eat. We are accustomed to cutting most fat off our meat. But I don't do that with the dogs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts