Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cosmo only gets "breakfasst" and thats it as far as true meals are concerned. He gets 1/2 cup of Evo Red Meat Formula, and 1/2 a patty of Duck Duck Goose in the morning. And then throughout the day his last bit of calorie limit is filled with Zuke's and veggies of various sorts, sometimes other dog treats. Along with bully sticks. Of which eats about 1/2 of a 6 inch a day. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

He is finally down to an awesome weight. He is extremely limited on exercise, so he we feed him the amount of calories needed for a 25lb dog to maintain weight, while doing little exercise. Evo is incredibly high calorie wise (527 calories in a cup), and 1/2 cup plus Duck Duck Goose (35 calories in a half a patty). He's get less then 10% of his daily caloric needs from treats, which we are pretty are on top of, and the majority of "treats" he gets are vegetables. Carrots, lettuce-big hit, green beans, cucumbers, etc.

But anyway, a friend (dog owner) was absolutely shocked he only got one meal a day.. We didn't really quite know what to make of it. Cosmo really never showed a big interest in "dinner". He would eat a piece or two, but eventually it just kind of slipped out of the equation. Cosmo has easy to feel ribs, has a waist line from above (as a fluff ball), and has at what we consider his ideal weight.

He is getting a pretty low amount of food, but it's the only way to keep a dog who is severely restricted exercise wise at the proper weight. If we feed even just little bit more then that what he is getting now, he gains weight like it's his job. Yeah most dogs I know eat two meals a day, but this is what Cosmo seems to prefer, and he's also doing very well weight wise. He does get the bulk of his calories in the morning, but he does get the rest throughout the day, and even the few times we've given him "dinner", he's not even interested. He poops once in the morning, once at night, never throws up stomach bile.

So basically is it bad for a dog to only be eating one meal a day? Should he be getting his kibble split in half for morning and night? Or is what we are doing ok?

My BF's last dog got two meals a day, as does the other dog in the house, Koko. Koko gets the bulk of her food in the morning, and about half of the "breakfast" serving at night. But I don't know we never really thought much of it as far as Cosmo only eating once a day.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
roxie just gets one meal a day and she's fine. we used to do two meals but i'm not a morning person and kept forgetting to feed her so it just ended up being dinner.

·
Registered
852 Posts
What's the old saying...If it ain't broke, don't fix it? If one meal a day is working for you and your dog, why change because someone else thinks you should? If the dog isn't throwing up, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus you give treats and whatnot so the dog is still getting food throughout the day. My opinion is keep doing what your doing.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I feed once a day. Meeko gets raw and it's just not possible making his meals any smaller. He gets a little snack in the afternoon with training and whatnot... but it's always worked for us.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
My dads dogs only eat one meal a day - and it's usually not until 8-9pm LOL... they really don't act all that hungry usually until about 7ish anyway. They won't eat breakfast even if I make it for them.

Jackson doesn't usually eat like RIGHT away in the morning. But he does seem to start getting hungry early-ish, like by noon. So I tend to pour half of his kibble in the bowl in the AM and when he eats it, he eats it. Dinner is the 'good' meal where I do the other half of his kibble plus something yummy, wet food, scraps, etc.

We're not on a set schedule. Sometimes his first meal is at 9am, sometimes it's not until 3. Dinner can range from 4pm until 7pm ish.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My dad feeds his dogs one meal a day. I don't think it's a bad thing as long as the dogs aren't going hungry.

Personally, I feed twice a day because Kratos thinks that the world is revolved around food and he gets hungry easily. So I feed once around noon then once late in the evening. As well as training and/or kongs he may get.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I prefer to feed twice a day. I think I'd be really hungry if I only ate once a day, right? But Moose has recently started refusing breakfast; the only way to make him eat enough is to feed it all at once :/. So I guess if he chooses it, it can't be that bad. So if your dog seems fine with it, that's all that matters.

One problem I can think of is, for large dogs eating a lot all at once could increase bloat risk. But other than that I think it's fine, health-wise.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Well this was a good thread to wander into.
I've been wondering this for my cat.
I only feed him once a day because cats get really demanding of their meals otherwise.
Or at least all my other cats I've had, about a half an hour before feeding time start meowing until they're fed.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I only feed him once a day because cats get really demanding of their meals otherwise.
Or at least all my other cats I've had, about a half an hour before feeding time start meowing until they're fed.
For cats it's generally not recommended, because naturally, cats eat several small meals a day. But again, if your individual cat does fine on that schedule, don't mess with something that's working.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Mine only get food in the bowl in the morning. Anything else is treats or food given during training. Exception being days of hard exercise then they will eat a evening meal.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Yeah cats are different. Willowy is right on this.

I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable feeding my cats just once a day. There's just too much room for error and them developing fatty liver disease :/

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I prefer to feed twice a day. I think I'd be really hungry if I only ate once a day, right? But Moose has recently started refusing breakfast; the only way to make him eat enough is to feed it all at once :/. So I guess if he chooses it, it can't be that bad. So if your dog seems fine with it, that's all that matters.

One problem I can think of is, for large dogs eating a lot all at once could increase bloat risk. But other than that I think it's fine, health-wise.
For large dogs, the risk is bloat, for small dogs, the risk is hypoglycemia. For medium sized dogs, it's probably not that risky.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts

I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable feeding my cats just once a day. There's just too much room for error and them developing fatty liver disease :/
Probably depends on the cat too, if the cat nibbles throughout the day I imagine it would be fine. If the cat scarfs the whole meal down like it's never seen food before in its life, regardless of how much food is there... not so much.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

I give him occasional lunch snacks, but he gets fat really fast and hunts, a lot, like I have to clean up at least 3 corpses a day (mouse, bird, squirrel, baby/small bunny). I guess I could make it a 50/50 lunch and before bed thing, but I thought it was okay to do once a day.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Both the cats and Luna eat twice a day, at the same time for training purposes. In the future I might feed Luna a bit earlier at night though. Right now they eat before I go to work at 7ish and at 9 in the evening. They don't meow at me for food, but they meow once they know I'm getting their food ready and follow me around until I'm done, haha. I think they just get excited.

Edit: At night I have an alarm on my phone for when they're fed because I also take medication at the same time, so when they hear the alarm everyone comes running- even from upstairs!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Cats are free-fed. They have 2 bowls (think small bowls) that are filled and left for them to pick at as they please. They used to get a medium dog-dish worth of food but we were going through it too quickly because the cats were gorging themselves and Toby was eating the leftovers... the small bowls work much better.
There are 4 cats sharing these bowls, each bowl can hold maybe 1/2 cup when full? So if everyone is eating according to their share then they get about 1/4 cup throughout the day of kibble with the occasional can of wet food.

Dog is meal-fed. He gets 1/2 cup at breakfast, 1/2 cup at dinner + low-cal treats during training sessions.
Toby would probably turn my house inside out if I fed him once a day.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For large dogs, the risk is bloat, for small dogs, the risk is hypoglycemia. For medium sized dogs, it's probably not that risky.
I don't know I think it'd be another story if Cosmo wasn't getting other foods throughout the day. He gets pretty good treats (Zuke's Mini naturals, Duck and Potato LID treats), and veggies throughout the day. It's not like he acts hungry or starving by the rest of the day.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
All my adults get fed once a day, when they are puppies under 6 months they get fed small meals 3 x a day, than when they are around half grown I twitch to 2 x a day, than after 2 years I usually will twitch them to once a day.

The only time I see once a day being a problem is if you have a giant breed of dog or a breed that is prone to bloat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts