Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 jack Russell Terriers that are10 months old. Boy and a girl and they are brother sisters. Anyway they both have been fixed at 6 months of age but my problem is my girl birdie has put weight on 11.5 lbs and chase o
Is 15lbs. The vet said they need to lose weight. I feed them raw food with raw dry food. Only about 3/4 cups morning and night. Should I cut out one meal a day and feed a little more plus, they get a 2 to 3 mile walk daily.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The calorie count in kibble (and commercial raw) varies widely, so without knowing the brand and formula you are feeding, or how much raw food they are getting, it's impossible to know how many calories they are getting. For reference, though, my dogs are currently on Pro Plan Sport formula, which has 436 calories per cup. My 35 pound pittie gets 3/4 cup twice a day and my 55 pound German Shepherd gets 1 cup twice a day. When fed prey model raw food, the pittie would need about 1.75 pounds per day, and my GSD would need 2.75 pounds per day.

Figuring out how many calories your dogs need per day, and then tailoring their food to meet that need is important. There are several calculators you can use. This is one of them. Calorie Calculator for Dogs Divide the total needed into two meals a day, and don't forget to take treats into account when figuring out how may calories the need. Things like training treats, biscuits and bully sticks can really pack a calorie punch.

Whichever food(s) you use, you need to measure it using either a standard 8 ounce measuring cup (like you would use for baking) or by weighing it. The recommended amounts on the package are juts that. Recommendations. You need to adjust up or down according you individual dog. My dogs almost always need less food that the package suggests.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why didn't the vet give you a approximate menu? After all, it is so important that the pet gets the right trace elements

·
Banned
619 Posts
You could take a simple approach.

Feed the normal food that you are currently feeding.
Reduce the food intake to 1/2 cup twice a day.
Increase the walking or exercise.

Jacks are highly active breeds, they will revel in the increased activity.

I have a 14 lb mini-schnauzer that is very active during the day. We take at least 3 walks each day for 30-60+ minutes each walk. He receives a short 3/8 cup of kibble twice a day. Total is about 5/8 cup per day. He is getting a little pudgy, so his exercise is being increased with multiple 15-20 romps in the back yard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts