Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have cats as well as my dogs. I tend to feed them all at the same time, so I don't forget anybody. Well, the cats are getting braver. I've taught the dogs from day one that the kitties are off limits for anything but licking, and the occasional chase that the cats initiate. The dogs have done really well, and they've even broke up catfights for us. Last night, Heidi (cat), walks up to Cerbie (dog) and attacks his face, to take a piece of food out of his mouth. It was celery, of all things. She got him where he just had a tooth pulled. My poor doggie. His mouth got red where she went after him, but it's fine now. I was wondering what those of you with multiple species homes do at feeding time? I usually have heidi in the hallway with the door closed bc she'll butt into the other cats meals, but nothing like this. I guess it's time to train the cats. I just don't know how to go about that.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I feed my dogs and cat separately, not because they fight over food, but they will try and eat each others. Dogs and cats have different nutritional needs, so I don't like the cat eating dog food, or the dogs eating cat food. When it has happened before, they either got diarrhea or constipated.

None of mine are slow and picky eaters though, they all eat on schedules and never take more than a few minutes. Dogs eat in the dining room, cat eats in my bedroom.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just have too many to watch all at the same time. It might have to change to: dogs eat breakfast, go outside. Feed cats breakfast while dogs are outside.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I feed one cat on the buffet counter, the other cat on top of the clothes hanger where I hang my clothes and my dog on the kitchen floor. I can't let the adult cat eat the kitten food because he has a sensitve tummy and I don't want my dog to eat either cat's food. She won't dare climb on top of the clothes hanger. The kitten loves hanging out on it, which is weird, I would think it's uncomfortable but it works.

·
Registered
999 Posts
My cats have an autofeeder which is upstairs in a window where the dog can't get it. Only one cat can get up there at a time so it saves the big tom cat from pushing his smaller sister out of the way. The dog gets fed twice a day in "his" room which is really my mud room but he sleeps and eats there.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
My cat Free feeds in the basement rafters hehe strange I know but it's the only place the dogs can't reach. and my dogs get fed in their bowls in another room

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
My cats and dogs all eat meals and they all eat them quick. The cats get 10 minutes to eat their food or it gets dumped back or put in the fridge if its canned, so they have learned to eat it all quickly. The dogs eat their food in about 2 seconds if its in a dish. If I am feeding the dogs out of a toy they are in seperate rooms away from each other and the cats until they are done.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I guess it's time to train the cats. I just don't know how to go about that.
A well timed squirt from a little squirt gun can do wonders as a correction for a cat. Especially if they don't realize your the one doing it.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I feed my cats in a separate room. Well, two separate rooms, now. I took in a siamese kitty who is a tad overweight, so my 'free feed' schedule, is no longer a free feed. I feed the kitties twice a day, in two separate rooms.

The dogs are usually fed at the same time (again 2x daily), but they are also in their separate spaces...usually in their crates. One of our dogs would NEVER tolerate the cats coming up to snatch a snack, even though we have tried extensively to break her naughty cat chasing habit. She's just too prey driven, and possession aggressive.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i feed my cats on top of my chest freezer because the dog doesn't get up there. they are basically free fed with a very measured amount of food a day. my siamese has a problem with eating too much food at once and then vomiting everywhere! yuck. i would love to feed them 2 times a day and then take the food up, but that won't work with them. my dog eats once a day in the kitchen and he eats raw so the cats are not interested in stealing bits at all, unfortunately! i would love if they all ate raw, but then i would have to come up with places that they could all eat...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts