Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On occasion, Beethoven doesn't eat all his food at meal time. I suppose it's just because he's full or he's still digesting his earlier meal, but my boyfriend doesn't really think that (always being difficult.. men). He suggested that I feed him in his crate. Personally, I don't know if that would be a good idea. I would rather him associate the kitchen with eating than his crate. Any opinions? People who do/tried this?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I never put food or water in the crate. Please note that I don't ever leave a pup in the crate for a full day without water. Once a pup is sleeping through the night, that's the longest period he will stay crated.

But pup's food stays down for about 30 minutes, and anything not eaten is put up 'til next meal time. I like pups to stay on the lean side anyway.

·
Banned
51 Posts
As long as his build is good, he diesn't need to eat any more than he is eating now. Sounds like he's just not hungry and I wouldn't worry about it. He looks good in the pictures. Thin is better than fat and he doesn't lood thin or fat.

I doubt feeding in crate will make him eat any more. Many people feed in crate so you can if you wish, I just don't see it as accomplishing anything as far as eating more.

·
Registered
640 Posts
For my two dogs that are still puppies, I put a portion of their kibble into Kongs which go into the crate with them. It helps make sure they get enough to eat and it's fun and relaxing for them to chew on the Kong and get the bits of food out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For my two dogs that are still puppies, I put a portion of their kibble into Kongs which go into the crate with them. It helps make sure they get enough to eat and it's fun and relaxing for them to chew on the Kong and get the bits of food out.
That is an excellent idea! I will be trying this out today.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Oh, I guess i should have been more clear xDDD
By feeding him in his crate, I mean having meal times in his crate, not having them in there all day.
Yes, I did that and it helped Sadie get used to her crate faster! It makes the crate a super fun place! She only eats in her crate now. I don't want her to think food in the kitchen might be for her :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
We feed everybody in their crates. It's easier than watching them try to eat out of each other's bowls.
It did help get them used to the crate and enjoying being in there. When I reach my hand into the bag of food, everyone automatically goes into their crates now, which I thought was pretty cool.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I feed some of mine in their crates. Especially nice for them to have raw food in their where I can just wipe out the crates.

I don't think leaving the food in there will make your dog eat though. It is probably good if they don't eat when they are not hungry. Some dogs don't self regulate so well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts