Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well my Hera is a 10 week old shitzu and I cant get her to eat much so was wondering is human food safe. I was told try some boiled chicken with rice. I am tired of dog kibble and wet food. I want to get her on a good healthy track if it means i have to make it myself help please.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If you want to make her a balanced homemade diet, do lots of research. If you leave anything out she can suffer from deficiencies. If you just want to make a yummy chicken stew to put on top of her kibble, that would be great, and you don't have to worry about anything except its yumminess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know she is young and only 2 pounds. We go back to vet on Tuesday if she still 2 pounds I am thinking it is because she does not eat her food well she will go a day without eating anything but a few pieces :( Yes how do i find a yummy chicken stew I would like to try to get her off kibble but if it means her health NO WAY

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Just boil up some chicken. . .maybe add some veggies that she likes (but you don't have to). Don't add spices, except maybe a tiny pinch of garlic. Shred the chicken meat and take the bones out, put the meat back in the broth. Add the broth and meat to her kibble and let it sit for a while and mix it up. . .yummy! Or at least most dogs think so. If she has an eating problem it may not help, though.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Just be aware that if you start making her food more appealing by adding stuff, you are setting a precedent. You will never be able to go back to plain kibble. If you start making home-made meals for her, that's possible and probably desirable, but it's not just a matter of feeding her what you eat. Canines have very different dietary needs than humans and some of the foods that we enjoy are toxic to dogs.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly used to have human food, but she know eats dry food, how coat just did not look good, she had meat, veg and mixer, my auntie gives her BC meat and just mixer, her BC's coat does not look as good as Holly, and it's not just me who said's that, also her BC has had trouble with dry skin.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you want to make her meals yourself it's best to consult with an animal nutritionist to create some balanced recipes.

If you or her just don't like kibble you can also try going raw.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Here are a couple of terrific resources for cooking for your dog. You can do it, just feed mostly red meat and make sure that calcium gets into the diet. I do prefer to feed raw too though.

I prefer the types of diets Lew Olson makes up. http://www.b-naturals.com/index.php?main_page=newsletters but here is a great place for dog nutrition of all sorts. It is just so much reading! http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html

Chicken isn't actually all that nutritious and unless you can use those bones there is about 30% wasted bone so not as cheap as it seems. My 38 pound senior dog needs nearly as much calcium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, selenium, riboflavin, vitamin B12 as I do and I certainly weigh more than 38 pounds! Chicken is low in zinc, copper, selenium, riboflavin and B12. Try pork or beef instead. A pound of meat cooked up and mixed 1:3 with some of that kibble would be fine and you wouldn't have to worry about crossing the t's and dotting the i's right now.

But she may be eating all she needs. A tiny pup needs a tiny amount of food often and the directions on the back of the bag are generally far more than most dogs need. If you can feel all her bones a little she is probably just fine. Lean pups are healthier than tubby ones.

Edited to add I have been reading through dogaware and there is a terrific article reviewing dog cook books here.
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/bookreviews.html Might have a look see and get one or another of them.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You may end up with one sick puppy depending on what you eat. Gravies are too high in fat for dogs and can give them stomach upsets. If I was going to feed a diet to my dogs that were not tested and approved, I would consult with a nutritionist. A nutritionist would go over lifestyle, breed and come up with a diet approved for your dog. Certain breeds are born with certain dietary mishaps. For example, Bedlington terriers can have a copper storing disease, siberians can have zinc deficiencies and schnauzers have a problem retaining lipids (fat) in their systems. Also lifestyle plays into effect. A dog who is getting little to no exercise needs a diet less in fat and a dog who is exercised hard everyday needs a higher fat content. These are just a couple of reasons if I fed a type of that I made, I would consult with a nutritionist. There are a lot of companies now offering a fresh food choice for owners. They come in a tube or a patty ready to eat. You might look into that.

But a 10 week, 2 pound dog is not going to eat much anyway.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Holly used to have human food, but she know eats dry food, how coat just did not look good, she had meat, veg and mixer, my auntie gives her BC meat and just mixer, her BC's coat does not look as good as Holly, and it's not just me who said's that, also her BC has had trouble with dry skin.
Is your aunt making sure that the dog gets fish oil? Since most meat animals are fed a grain diet, they lack the omega 3 that dogs need.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Op, I wouldn't suggest cooking for your dog ultras it was a balanced meal plan approved by a nutritionist.

Like another poster said, you could always try raw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts