Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Murphy is my 8 month lab puppy and I've been having some trouble deciding how to feed him lately. We weaned him off lunch around 6 months and he's been doing fine with two meals per day. He's eating BB large breed puppy.

Here's my dilemma. Currently he gets 2 cups twice per day, once at 8:30am and once at 6:30pm. Lately every few days he will throw up in the morning before breakfast - watery foam, which I take to mean his stomach is so empty that it gets upset. So that means I should either increase his daily food amount, or move dinner later so his stomach is still working on something overnight, right? Well, if I feed him more, he gets less than ideal poops (we figured out early on that overfeeding him causes diarrhea). And as for timing, he currently starts being pesty for food around 5:30, so I can't imagine making him wait past what we already do - I don't want morning barfs to just turn into evening barfs. And moving breakfast earlier would also cause him to get pesty/hungry earlier, right?

His body condition is good (he has a waist but you can't see his ribs). The barfing did not coincide with us taking away the 3rd meal - he was fine on 2x per day for nearly two months. I'm sure he's just going through one of his many growth spurts, I'm just wondering how you guys would suggest managing his food so that he doesn't get diarrhea from more food and he doesn't barf in the morning from being hungry!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would likely give 1/2C bedtime snack of sorts at about 9pm, while slowly increasing his daily amount for account for what does sound like a growth spurt. OR serve breakfast earlier, at about 630 am rather than 830 am and see how he does before increasing amount.

Right now she goes 10 hours between breakfast and dinner but is going 14 hours between dinner and breakfast, that is too long from the sounds of it. Make it 12 hour intervals instead and see how he does.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd also give a bedtime snack (1/2 c.) like swellmomma said above. Subract the amount from the rest of the daily ration, so as not to overfeed. He definitely sounds like he's getting the hunger pukes, poor thing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You could try to move his breakfast earlier and see if it helps. If he's being pesky, just ignore it and don't give in, if you give in he will do it more. He'll just have to learn that you are the one who chooses the time for feeding and just be patient. Just focus on if he's throwing up or not. You can try giving him one of those kibble dispensing toys so it spreads out his breakfast even if you give it to him earlier. Someone who answered one of my own throw up threads suggested giving the dog a small snack before bed, that way their tummy isn't totally empty throughout the night. Also, you can give him small "snack time" training sessions. If he wants food that badly first thing, have a small amount of kibble or treats and use it to train him. This also applies in the evening too, so instead of just a late night snack it turns into a late night training session. I always do a small quick training session with my pup early in the morning before her actual breakfast, and in the evening before her (and sometimes later after) dinner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys. For some reason I totally didn't think of splitting one of his meals into smaller portions - it was either feed more or change the time entirely. I'll try giving him 1/2 cup before bed... we've also been having trouble with him deciding not to poop before bed so he wakes up in the middle of the night needing to go, so giving him some food might help remind him to get things moving - it sure does at other meal times!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts