Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every1 i'm looking for some advise on how much to feed layla (9 week pom).

Im feeding her on james wellbeloved duck and rice puppy, and she loves it. My only concern is i could be over feeding her. On the back of the pack it says to feed a puppy 95-115g of food for a puppy of estimated adult weight of 5kg. At the min she's only 1kg and i'm feeding her 25gs four times a day. Some times she finishes the whole bowl (usually in the mornings) and other times she doesn't(mid after noon).

It just seems like such a lot considering i have my adult collie on the same food, adult brand obviously but same flavour, and for his weight it says to feed between 320-430.

So what do you guys think?? I know because she is small and they type of breed they need high food intake, but to me this seems a bit much!! Im not sure how she fits it all in that tiny belly! lol

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If I did math correctly, she's 2.2lbs?

I can't covert the amounts -- too tired and math stupid, LOL... but, I wouldn't think more than 2/3 cup would be necessary for a growing puppy of that size.

My active 3 year old 16lb'er gets 2/3 cup per day of a food with 430 kcal/cup.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The calories needed by a puppy are high!! She sounds like she stops when she is full, so is there really a problem? She's growing, it will all go to bone and muscle

That said, why not phone the company?

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's been 16 years since I last had a puppy-aged pom so I don't remember how much we fed him, but I would imagine they need a lot since they're such high energy little dogs! I recently went through this with cats, and as kittens they ate waaay more than they do now. I don't know if the same applies to dogs, but excess weight gain was only an issue with them once they started reaching adult size. Your vet could probably tell you at what age you need to be concerned about overfeeding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts