Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When Jasper was given to me at 6 weeks old he LOVED to eat, just like he does now. I adopted the new addition and he too is 6 weeks old. However he doesn't eat much. Maybe 1/2 a cup (sometimes a little more) dry a day. And 2 small spoons wet. He is 6.4 pounds, is this enough food?

Right now he is getting fed 4 times a day. I am soaking the kibble in water and adding a little soft food each time. It's there anything else I can do or give him? I'm just worried about him. He would rather sleep or play than eat. :/ Which I know is not uncommon in puppies, and even after raising so many I still worry.

The vet at the shelter gave him his first shot and dewormer on Sunday morning. I picked him up Sunday night. So I haven't had him very long and he is still missing his bothers. I tend to worry a lot.

ETA: The puppy food he is eating its ProPac Puppy Performance. That's the only small small kibble sized puppy or ALS food at the local store that I would consider feeding fir a little while. It's rated pretty good on DA, and yes I'm aware DA is not the cure all. And I'm well aware pups should not leave home until 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
It looks like they are recommending 1-1/3 to 2-1/4 cups of food from 5 to 10 lbs but that food is close to 600 caleries per cup; so he is getting over 300 (maybe closer to 400) calories a day. I would think that a growing pup may need some more calories depending on how active that pup is. Would he eat more if you put it down? Or are you struggling to eat that 1/2 cup? Also, and I had this with Zoey ... he just might be picky or it could be the newness (I believe you just got him) - I bought Wellness puppy food for her before I brought her home and she would not eat it and after 2 days I bought her Orijen and she scarfed it down - I just assumed she would have ate any decent food readily coming from the shelter but she didn't.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like they are recommending 1-1/3 to 2-1/4 cups of food from 5 to 10 lbs but that food is close to 600 caleries per cup; so he is getting over 300 (maybe closer to 400) calories a day. I would think that a growing pup may need some more calories depending on how active that pup is. Would he eat more if you put it down? Or are you struggling to eat that 1/2 cup? Also, and I had this with Zoey ... he just might be picky or it could be the newness (I believe you just got him) - I bought Wellness puppy food for her before I brought her home and she would not eat it and after 2 days I bought her Orijen and she scarfed it down - I just assumed she would have ate any decent food readily coming from the shelter but she didn't.
Thank you for the response. And he is very active, and I did just get him. At the E-vet tonight the DR told me to not worry about it too much. She said that where he was just taken away from his family, so young, and so small he will eventually start eating more. Which I knew but her not freaking out at the amount he was eating helped. haha And yes we are struggling to get him to eat the 1/2 cup a day. He has gained .2oz since I got him. It very well could be that he is picky. He was eating canned mixed with soaked Kibbles and bits at the shelter. I can guarantee this taste dry compared to that.

I might try to pick up a smellier wet food to add into the kibble.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I like ProPac puppy performance, so that seems a solid choice.

A smelly wet food is one option; others could be mixing in a little chicken broth, sardine water and mush, cooking some chicken until its mushy and falls apart and adding a bit of that, some canned green tripe (stinky!), or mixing in some dehydrated food with plenty of warm water.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like ProPac puppy performance, so that seems a solid choice.

A smelly wet food is one option; others could be mixing in a little chicken broth, sardine water and mush, cooking some chicken until its mushy and falls apart and adding a bit of that, some canned green tripe (stinky!), or mixing in some dehydrated food with plenty of warm water.
Thank you for the suggestions, I will try them out. The corn in Pro Pac puppy makes me iffy on it.

Do you all think there is any need for a large breed puppy food? The vet said something about it in passing such as "large breed puppy food, maybe, since he might get over 50 pounds". I am unsure, I doubt there is a need for it really. I usually do not even feed a puppy food, just a good ALS, but I worry since he is so small, and young.

I would prefer to get something local as apposed to online as well so I was thinking:
TOTW puppy
4health puppy
Earthborn puppy
Wellness Complete Health puppy
I am going to check all the local stores and add to the list and then narrow it down. I do not start rotation diets until after a year old.

Keep in mind that I don't just feed dry kibble. Jasper in addition to dry food he gets raw added in a few times a week. As well as the following: high quality canned, Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Meal or Mixer (and the powder one from time to time), Grandma Lucy’s Artisan, THK, eggs, veggies, and fruit. Not everything at once, just whatever I have at the time is what he gets mixed in. I plan to do the same for the puppy.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Huh, the Pro Pac puppy that I had bought at Feeders Supply about 2 months ago did not have corn in it. I doubled checked. I know that their website says it has corn, but the bags don't and they had a note that they've switched formulas to remove corn.

Out of your listed ones, I'd go with Earthborn or Wellness over TOTW or 4Health, but if your bag of Pro Pac doesn't have corn also, then I think its just as good as something like 4Health and a better company.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh, the Pro Pac puppy that I had bought at Feeders Supply about 2 months ago did not have corn in it. I doubled checked. I know that their website says it has corn, but the bags don't and they had a note that they've switched formulas to remove corn.

Out of your listed ones, I'd go with Earthborn or Wellness over TOTW or 4Health, but if your bag of Pro Pac doesn't have corn also, then I think its just as good as something like 4Health and a better company.
Oops I guess I should read the back of the bag I bought instead of the listed ingredients. Your right it does not have corn in it. And I found the link to the new one online.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts