Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find an answer by searching here, but surely this has been asked numerous times.

I'd like to get my dog on a once daily feed schedule. This, so my theory goes, will help me know fairly accurately when her poops will need to happen.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I would recommend twice daily, rather than once daily, especially because your pup is small and therefore prone to hypoglycemia and such. In my experience, many dogs fed once a day tend to get barfy due to stomach acid. With twice a day, you still get the predictability.

Are you free-feeding now?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
hamandeggs already beat me to the punch! I also suggest the same. I have one smaller dog who will vomit on an empty stomach. (That yellow bile does not come out of carpeting either .... no matter what I have used.)

Most importantly ... I also fear hypoglycemia ... it is not always noticeable depending on the dog.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
We feed Loki once a day, but only because he's such a diva and fussy eater. It works for us and he definitely eats better given he's hungrier. I would prefer to do it twice a day, but I ain't fixing what ain't broke right now ;)

Livia on the other hand, she's fed twice a day. We are still trying to get a grip on her poop schedule too :) I think, in general, twice a day feeding is a better route to go.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I was hoping that using a high quality food, I could get away with a once a day feed. (There is less filler so it isn't so bulky)

This pup is now 21 lbs. Her food allowance for the full day is less than 1.5 cups. Just as a rehearsal, I have been feeding her 80% of her ration in the morning.

She isn't a fast gobbler type of eater, but she does eat it. (usually, I put the food in a used water bottle that gradually dispenses the food slowly as she kicks it around... so she couldn't gobble even if she wanted to)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: feed once daily? (and digestion time)

I meant to say....

I have tried to find the answer to this:
How long does it take food to pass through a dog.... so from the time the dog eats to the time the dog dumps it in your yard.... what's the approximate time span?

I've seen differing answers online.

At one time, I saw a story that explained why dogs rarely get food poisoning even though the eat so many rank things that they find. The answer, in that story, was that dogs have a) stronger, bacteria killing acid in the stomach and b) the food doesn't linger in their system long... they pass their food much faster than a human...like twice as fast.

I believe it said 12 hours or less for a dog and 24 and up for a human. Or maybe 24 for a dog and 48+ for a human.

Well, my 7 month old ate some easter egg straw. Like, the green frilly, stringy stuff that you nest your easter eggs in. She normally does not eat non-consumables, but there was something about this stuff that resulted in actual swallowing.

Ok, that was at around 3pm yesterday. Today, at 1:20pm, it came out the other end in a rather tidy little wad.

If this is any evidence, then we're talking around a 24 hour timeline.

Just a FYI.... because it relates to the scheduling of feeding and poops.

I do remember one link that said that it can vary depending on metabolism.... not sure if that is true.

I'd be interesting in reading your anecdotes on feed-to-poo times!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts

Quite honestly ... I always noticed when Leeo used to get into the Kids left over scattered crayons ( bad children!) they re-appeared the next day ... So ... IME it was about 24 hours later.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts

Dogs don't have problems with what they eat because their digestive systems are very, very short. Human intestines average 75', iirc, whereas dogs' intestines are more like 10'. This doesn't give bacteria much of a chance to reproduce and colonize. This is also why dogs can't do much with grains. Human intestines are so long to help us process grains. Dogs are evolved to primarily eat meat, which doesn't require much time in the intestines to process.

Every time I've had to search for stuff I've found it within the next 24 hours.

I'd really recommend twice daily feedings. It prevents bloat and hypoglycemia. I like the water bottle idea. You can also buy all kinds of kibble dispensing toys for the same effect. Kabota loves his.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

I'd really recommend twice daily feedings. It prevents bloat and hypoglycemia.
While I agree that twice daily feeding is more ideal, there is no scientific backing that it prevents bloat. The Purdue study has a bunch of recommendations, but there is no direct correlation. Some even say the study is flawed. It's unfortunate, but no one can really pinpoint what the true cause of bloat is :(

·
Registered
500 Posts

I feed pups a couple times a day until they are about adult size, then once a day.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

Puppies ~6 months and older should be fed twice a day. Under 6 months should be 3-4x. Once fullgrown you can feed once a day, but with processed food it's better to feed twice a day due to hypoglycemia or other issues. When switching from once to twice, do it gradually. Start feeding more one meal and less the other, and move the other feeding time closer if possible. For example if you want to feed at 9am and be done with it for the day, start feeding more amount at 9am and less in the evening; and if possible move the evening feeding time to gradually be earlier and earlier.

Dogs throw up bile because they are expecting to be fed. Unlike humans, dogs do not always produce stomach juices. Secretion starts when they start eating, or when they are expecting/demanding to be fed.
http://www.bearscampnewfs.com/health/Waltham Center/Canine Stomach.pdf
Secretions
Gastric secretions are produced in response to food intake. The parietal cells that secrete HCl are receptive to both neural (acetylcholine) and hormonal (histamine) signals; histamine is released in response to stimulation from the locally secreted hormone gastrin. Gastrin itself is released from the G cells in the gastric antrum and duodenum, and release is stimulated by both the presence of protein in the stomach and amino acids in the small intestine. Also, stomach distension and stimulation by the vagus nerve (e.g., in sham feeding) stimulate gastrin release.
During meals, gastric pH is about 1 to 1.5. Unlike in humans, the secretion of gastric acid is intermittent in cats and dogs, and during low-fasting acid secretion between meals, gastric pH can rise as high as 3 to 6.5. Therefore, blood in vomit may appear either as hematemesis (digested, “ground coffee” appearance) or as fresh blood.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts

I'm feeding my 12 lb dog once a day because it was getting really stupid, I kept having to take away her food before she was done and it was making her really anxious about eating and stuff. She is fed at random times, she is six years old and she is raw fed.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts

I agree with the suggestion that you can start on once a day at about 1 yo. My dog has an iron stomach, and I fed him once a day from 1 year to about 7 years. About 5 years, I started including raw carrots. At 7 years, I added Missing Link and switched to twice a day. A few times a year, when we go on vacation, I switch him back to once a day for the ease of the neighbors feeding him.

I walk him, then feed him around 6 am and 6 pm. He poops when I walk him, as well as around Noon on some days, and sometimes at 9 pm.... The more he sleeps, the less he poops (he sleeps about 20 hours a day ... he's 11 yo)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I couldn't find an answer by searching here, but surely this has been asked numerous times.

I'd like to get my dog on a once daily feed schedule. This, so my theory goes, will help me know fairly accurately when her poops will need to happen.
Why? You can figure out a schedule on two feedings a day. The only time it really becomes difficult is if you are free-feeding. If this pup still isn't housetrained, chances are she needs better supervision. Dogs who eat only once a day tend to have more incidents of throwing up bile and being more anxious. I wouldn't want to only get one meal per 24 hours. Would you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts