Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gathering opinions and the reasons behind them. Feeding once is more convenient for *me* because I can predict poo times.

When I feed twice she will not eat the second half on a schedule. She will wait until evening sometimes resulting in a nighttime poo.

This is not a huge deal, so if dividing her food is better for her I will do it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I feed once a day- My dog is a breed that is cautioned to not over-feed, as they can pack on the pounds fast. He eats not even a fourth of cup a food a day, it doesn't seem like much, but it is all he needs- I do add about another half of a cup of wet dog food... So he's fine.

Feeding Donatello once a day ensures that I know he won't poo at night, he'll poo in the morning. That is his schedule and he sticks to it, very rarely now does he poo at night.

Like your dog, Donatello doesn't care to eat in the morning, he probably would now- But like I said I'm concerned about him gaining too much weight.

You could even talk to your vet and ask what he/she would suggest...

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Feeding twice a day is easier on a dog's digestive system than 1 large meal once a day. Think how you feel after eating a huge holiday dinner... :eek:

Feeding twice a day on a schedule, you can still predict potty times.

I feed in the morning before work and in the afternoon/early evening when I get home.

ETA: Having large breed dogs, I worry about bloat, so 2 smaller meals works out well. I also have a dog with colitis and he would not do well eating just once a day.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I feed twice a day. My two tend to get too hungry when only fed once a day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Feeding twice a day is easier on a dog's digestive system than 1 large meal once a day. Think how you feel after eating a huge holiday dinner... :eek:.
That's what I was thinking - especially since I am cutting back a little as she needs to lose a few pounds, she will eat it all at once.

Feeding twice a day on a schedule, you can still predict potty times.
Nope - she will let the second half sit until evening, and the time varies.

Maybe I could track the times she goes for it and start putting it down at average of what she chose on her own or something.

I used to put her whole amount down at once, and she divided it into two meals herself. Somehow it happened to work out where she pooed while I was awake.

This isn't working so well now that I've cut her food back.

I feed twice a day. My two tend to get too hungry when only fed once a day.
I think this is going to be the consensus. I feel dumb for asking now, lol.

Who would want to eat one time every 24 hours?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Do not let the bowl sit there. Give her 1/2 her daily ration and give her 20 minutes to eat it. If she doesn't, pick it up and don't give her anything until next meal time when you will again give her 1/2 her daily ration.

She'll get the idea.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My dogs don't always eat in the morning, but I definitely encourage them to. Otherwise, I get a little too worried about them, especially the little guy. I don't think it's good to go 24 hours between meals.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Do not let the bowl sit there. Give her 1/2 her daily ration and give her 20 minutes to eat it. If she doesn't, pick it up and don't give her anything until next meal time when you will again give her 1/2 her daily ration.

She'll get the idea.
^ THIS.

If I let my dogs eat when and what THEY wanted, They'd never be on schedule. I believe in tough love. They eat what I give them, when I give it or they go hungry till the next meal.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I agree with the others. Put it in on schedule and it will come out on schedule. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
doing this has caused her to eat from the cat box, eat rather than gnaw on her bone (causing vomiting and it could have been worse....) she has a couple areas of stubbornness and this is one of them.

But I can try and not leave bones out and hope the cat doesn't use the litter box while I'm asleep or not here.....since she and I areat war over peeing I think I will leave this one alone for a bit.

I'll give her half in the AM and the other half later.

In a week or two I will institute a timed evening feeding.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Can you put the cat box in another room and close it off with a baby gate?
That will eliminate that problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you put the cat box in another room and close it off with a baby gate?
That will eliminate that problem.

Unfortunately, no.

I usually beat her to it - which also has the benefit of keeping the box really clean.

Stragely, although she free-feeds, the cat pretty much goes on schedule.

Please no one tell me not to free-feed the cat. She is 18, very healthy and perfect weight, and I let her do what the heck she wants for the most part!

She chooses 5-6 small meals per day and I couldn't schedule anything better than that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I decide based on breed and their propensity to over eat.
My border collie eats once a day she is small (25lbs) and does not bolt or have weight issues
My borzoi is on 3x a day because he's a pup, but when an adult will eat 2x a day because they are very prone to bloat and gastric tortion.
my cats eat 2x a day because they are compulsive over eaters and tend to complain if not fed 2x a day

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I say twice a day. Lord knows going even twelve hours without food would make me very cranky. I also recommend no free feeding. This in itself can create the "lack of schedule" issue.

As for the cat box, I hear your pain. When I switched Cracker to a better food the snacking stopped.

I have a kitty who's seventeen, so good for you for 18! You say you are having a "pee war"..could it be stress from the new puppy? Could the puppy be causing difficulty for the cat to get to the box? Being 18 his kidneys are not going to be as good as a young cat and having bladder control issues is common (as is kidney disease)...
Please understand that cats do not "choose" not to use their box unless something is wrong.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree with the multiple feedings... especially if your dog/pup eats a large amount of food in a day. When we first got our guy he was free feeding at the pound, and seemed to do okay at it, when we fed him Nutrience, but as we gradually raised the quality of his food, he ate more of it, faster. So we then went to 2 feedings, morning before work, and at 5 when we got home. However, as he got bigger, his food needs did too, ballooning to 4.5 cups a day. At this point we split his meal into 3 - 1.5 cup portions. Morning before work, at lunch when we let them out, and then supper when we come home. Keeps both of them regular, 3 poops a day, morning, lunch, and dinner. We've since cut them back a bit to 4 cups a day as their puppy stage is starting to slow down a little as they near 8.5 months. So now it's 1.5 cups in the morning, 1 at lunch and 1.5 at supper.

I know it sounds like a lot, but they're both bone racks from running so much, well, maybe a little chunk, a pound or 2... why we cut back the 0.5 cup.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts