Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search before I posted this, but had no luck.
Has anyone used the Authority brand food (I found it at Petsmart). The ingredients list looks pretty good for a 3 star food.
I have a 11 week old dobe pup and am looking for a good ( as I can currently afford) food
Thanks in advance for your time,
Tom..............

·
Banned
251 Posts
http://www.dogforums.com/5-dog-food-forum/25956-authority-dog-food.html

I tend to lean towards the to-be-avoided camp. This is a no-name product, packaged by a third party and sold as PetSmart's house brand, much the same way that Ol' Roy belongs to Walmart.

The ingredients look terrible in my opinion - the grains are by-product ingredients, and at that price you can be assured that you are purchasing animal-feed quality meats (ie unfit for human consumption). The brewers rice is a BIG no no and the amount of wheat is unacceptable given that wheat is thought to be the number one cause of allergies in dogs.

In addition, ingredients such as "animal fat" were correlated with the presence of sodium pentobarbital (the drug used to euthanize dogs and cats) in a study done by the CVMA between 1999-2000. The point is, you have NO idea WHAT animal that fat came from.

And that's just their lamb formula (also keep in mind that wheat partials and rice bran were both implicated in the 2007 contamination).

In the chicken formula it's corn, corn and more corn! Not to mention the beet pulp filler, plus the animal fat again.

Sorry, but I wouldn't touch the stuff.

·
Registered
818 Posts
At Petsmart there are only a few foods that might get a "decent" review. They are: Avoderm (I have used with good results), Blue Buffalo (I use this brand for one of my cats, and would definitely use for my dogs..I have used their can), By Nature (I would use this, and I have used their can food), Nature's Recipe (my least favorite choice, but not as bad as some). Then there is Authority....the only one I've heard anything positive about is the Harvest Baked. I know choices for a decent food at Petsmart are limited, but the above are better than alot of foods and are available there. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts