Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where you live, do you have to pay fees for city, county, or state registration on dogs?

Here we have to pay a dollar for registration, rabies vaccination is required, though not enforced. Where I lived in CA, there was a thirty dollar fee, if neutered, and $100 if intact. What are your thoughts on fees?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
In this county we don't have to register them or pay fees (although when we lived on the beach we were supposed to, but its not really enforced, so nobody does).
In the county I live in prior to moving here, there were county licensing fees. You paid them at the vet whenever you got a rabies vaccine. I think it was maybe like $9 for an altered animal (less for senior citizens) and maybe like $20 for unaltered animals. The fees were reasonable and the money were to animal control to help them cover the costs of holding dogs/cats and spaying/neutering the adoptable ones. That money allows them to hold animals longer (them keep them for 2 weeks) so I had no isssues paying that small fee every time I had a rabies renewal.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Dog licenses here are a municipal thing, so people who live completely rural don't have to get them, but some will choose to for the backup identification. My town charges $15, but our animal control services are very limited. The closest city has higher fees and charges more for unaltered pets, but they have a great network of shelters.

At the very least, having a license gets us a steep discount, should our dog get lost. The cost of the license is fully paid for in the discount on the first incident. I'd be ok with paying higher license fees and I think it's great that the town finally changed the rules to require a cat license because cats are over-running our shelters far more than dogs are. Hopefully the city will follow suit on that one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
the license fee for my dogs are $20 each and since I have 3 dogs I pay the city $47 each year for a permit the city only allows 2 dogs

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Ours is voluntary and offers a "Get out of jail free card" on the first offense and discounted offenses after that. They keep a log of the dogs information and it is supposed to decrease the amount of time between getting lost and being returned. Ours are in the $15 dollar range (I think) per dog or a bit more money for a "lifetime license."

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Registrations are done by county here;

Northampton County, PA (where I live) Dog Licenses:
Female or Male Dog $8.45
Spayed Female or Neutered Male Dog $6.45
Senior Citizen Male or Female Dog $6.45
Senior Citizen Spayed Female or Neutered Male Dog $4.45
Lifetime Male or Female Dog (tattoo or microchip required) $51.45
Lifetime Spayed Female or Neutered Male Dog (tattoo or microchip required) $31.45
Lifetime Senior Citizen Female or Male Dog (tattoo or microchip required) $31.45
Lifetime Senior Citizen Spayed Female or Neutered Male Dog (tattoo or microchip required) $21.45
Transfers $1.00 No increase
Duplicates $1.00 No increase
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs, Dogs for the Handicapped and Dogs used by Municipal or State Police Departments N/C No increase

I payed the $51.45 for Bella's lifetime license because she's not spayed and and I went through the Revenue office in the courthouse. Though there are 7 individual businesses that I could go to and get a license also. I actually have to go get a replacement license since she managed to lose hers on a walk.

Here it's illegal to not have your dog registered (registration by law is required to be done by 3 months of age here I found out) and licensed with the county.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Registrations are done by county here;

Northampton County, PA (where I live) Dog Licenses:
Female or Male Dog $8.45
Spayed Female or Neutered Male Dog $6.45
Senior Citizen Male or Female Dog $6.45
Senior Citizen Spayed Female or Neutered Male Dog $4.45
Lifetime Male or Female Dog (tattoo or microchip required) $51.45
Lifetime Spayed Female or Neutered Male Dog (tattoo or microchip required) $31.45
Lifetime Senior Citizen Female or Male Dog (tattoo or microchip required) $31.45
Lifetime Senior Citizen Spayed Female or Neutered Male Dog (tattoo or microchip required) $21.45
Transfers $1.00 No increase
Duplicates $1.00 No increase
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs, Dogs for the Handicapped and Dogs used by Municipal or State Police Departments N/C No increase

I payed the $51.45 for Bella's lifetime license because she's not spayed and and I went through the Revenue office in the courthouse. Though there are 7 individual businesses that I could go to and get a license also. I actually have to go get a replacement license since she managed to lose hers on a walk.

Here it's illegal to not have your dog registered (registration by law is required to be done by 3 months of age here I found out) and licensed with the county.
I live in PA and the prices are the same in my county. Since everyone is getting microchipped next month we're holding off and just getting lifetime licenses then.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I live in PA and the prices are the same in my county. Since everyone is getting microchipped next month we're holding off and just getting lifetime licenses then.
Oh hey! :D

I didn't want to put everywhere in PA was the same because I know the prices vary by county. xD So I felt it easier to just list the county.

It's cheaper in the long run to just get the lifetime license - though from another thread on here it seems that a lot of people here don't have the option to get the license or have even heard of it!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the fees seem very reasonable. There is no limit on number of dogs here, though some cities may have them.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
All the fees seem very reasonable. There is no limit on number of dogs here, though some cities may have them.
Where I live you can have up to 25 dogs before you need to apply for a kennel license, and I believe that is because my county goes off the state regulations regarding dog limits. I know other places in PA have a lower limit though.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Apparently it is unlawful in PA to barter, trade, sell or transfer any dog under seven weeks old.
It is also unlawful in PA to operate a kennel that keeps, harbors, boards, shelters, sells gives away or transfers a total of 26 dogs or more in any one calender year without a current kennel license.

Found those while trying to find out how many dogs any one person is allowed to own at any given time - which I didn't find UNLESS that part means I could own up to 26 dogs. But I -think- we're limited to four (I think it's in our homeowner's rules and regulations something or other for the development that I live in).

·
Registered
203 Posts
From my towns website:

"Dogs are licensed with the Town Clerk in the month of June. You need to provide the most recent rabies certificate and proof of spaying or neutering. Dogs do not need to be licensed until they are 6 months of age. We do not license cats.

Males and Females: $19
Spayed and Neutered: $8

After June, add $1 for each month late."

I have no problem paying $8 year. I just wish the tag wasn't purple, LOL. I hope next years are blue or green. ;)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Apparently it is unlawful in PA to barter, trade, sell or transfer any dog under seven weeks old.
It is also unlawful in PA to operate a kennel that keeps, harbors, boards, shelters, sells gives away or transfers a total of 26 dogs or more in any one calender year without a current kennel license.

Found those while trying to find out how many dogs any one person is allowed to own at any given time - which I didn't find UNLESS that part means I could own up to 26 dogs. But I -think- we're limited to four (I think it's in our homeowner's rules and regulations something or other for the development that I live in).
I called our local treasurers office to ask about that, and yeah per state law you can have 25 dogs before needing a kennel license, once you hit 26 you have to be licensed. Most areas have lower local limits though, I just happen to live in a rural area that goes by the state law.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Registration in my town is $ 5-$7, heck, maybe even $10 this year (SDIT are free). We have good AC service. When I asked about the limit, the clerk said, hmmm I'm not sure, maybe 10 or so would be a problem....... (I'm sure I can stay under 10)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
$25 for neutered or show dogs, $100 for intact non show dogs, free for service dogs. all per dog per year, no limit. licenced gets you an get out of jail free card and a reward card that can be used to get discounts on verious things all over the city :) non licenced gets you a $250 fine lol. they are not that strict about enforcing it though..our city uses postive reinforcement instead lol, instead of cracking down for not licencing, they offer all kinds of rewards FOR licenceing.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$25 for neutered or show dogs, $100 for intact non show dogs, free for service dogs. all per dog per year, no limit. licenced gets you an get out of jail free card and a reward card that can be used to get discounts on verious things all over the city :) non licenced gets you a $250 fine lol. they are not that strict about enforcing it though..our city uses postive reinforcement instead lol, instead of cracking down for not licencing, they offer all kinds of rewards FOR licenceing.
That's awesome! What state are you in if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
none, I live in Saskatchewan Canada lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts