Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 week old bichon frise, and he is tiny! He weighs less than 4 pounds and his teeth and mouth are pretty tiny also.

For lunch he ate a little bit of chicken meat and fat, but nothing else because of time. For dinner I feed him a drummette, the drumstick part of a wing and he loved it! He ate all the meat off the bone and then ate the smaller end of the bone, but no other part. This took him 90 minutes, and I had to stay there with him so I could encourage him to eat, otherwise he would have quit because it was difficult for him to get the meat off much less chew through the bone. I kept the bone so I could keep offering it to him through the night and some in the morning, but he had a real difficult time with it and lost interest. I ended up giving him some boneless chicken breast because of time. I ordered some pre-made raw meat but it wont be here until June 19th! I know I can't keep feeding him meat only with the tiny bit of bone he'll actually chew through.

What are some softer more rewarding bones I could give him? I've heard necks, but they aren't offered at my local grocery store.
Are there any calcium supplements for puppies?
I also heard that if you feed your dog whole raw meat and then try to go to ground raw meat, the dog won't eat it or like it as much, should I go back to his kibble for the next week?
Any other advice?
THank you!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you are really worried then chop finely that chicken and dust the meat with 1/2 tsp finely ground eggshell per pound of meat. [Rinse the shell, microwave or bake until crisp and grind in a clean coffee grinder] It sounds like he is eating enough bone as he only needs 10% which isn't much. You can cut into the meat to make strips that make it easy for him to grab hold of and rip off. Chicken breast with bone would be a terrific meat to start on. Break the bone rather than cut it so there aren't as many sharp edges.

Time? To me one of the best things about feeding raw is how long it takes to eat. With a pup the more time chewing legal stuff like bones means less time chewing illegal stuff like shoes, rugs and furniture!

I think it is taking a long time right now as it is new to him and his muscles both are undeveloped and not used to this type of work. In a couple days he will have figured it out, bet you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts