Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, my rat terrier teddy is very fearful. He is a year old and we adopted him from a shelter. Luckily he has a very short coat and doesnt need bathing too often. But he does need nail clipping. last time we took him to the groomers to get his nails clipped he freaked out. he just hates it. The worse part is that he can't be tied with a collar, because he has a collapsed trachea. So what do you guys reccommend other than just forcing him to be submitted to his fears. thanks.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I have one little Leeo is this way. I do something wierd but only because it works for him and his nails are pink and I can see the quick. I put him in the bath tub and allow his nails to soften? He only allows me this way. I do not however recommend this. The nails are easily cut and so could be the quick if you do not know what you are doing.

I would suggest first touching his feet in general and giving him a treat when he allows his feet touched. Get him used to this. Then I would try one nail even if it is one nail a day and treat him for as much as he will tolerate it. Even if it takes a week ... he may become less fearful. Just my suggestion ... as this has worked for Abbylynn. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
take it slow and be patient. use a lot of positive reinforcements. Start by showing him the nail clippers, next touch him with the nail clippers, and work it up step by step. When you clip his nails, do it bit by bit so you are 100% sure you wont cut his quick.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yup! agree!

Needs to be desensitized to the clippers and the clipping and the touching of the paws! And don't be nervous as he'll read your energy and be more frightful

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Definitely agree with this advice. My old dog was terrified of being brushed. Unfortunately, he had a full double coat, like a Husky, so not brushing was simply not an option. I started by treating him simply for looking at the brush. Then I would put the brush next to us while we cuddled and treat him for staying still and not running off. I then treated him for looking at me while I held the brush, then for letting me pet him while I held the brush. We moved up to treating him for letting me touch him with the brush, not brush him, just touching him with it.

It took a while, but eventually, he would salivate and dance around when I brought out the brush!

·
Registered
7 Posts
For when you do have to bath him, try sitting on the edge of the tub and put your legs in with him. My girl was nervous with baths for awhile and I did this and it helped. She cowered by my feet initially and with praise she came around. She seemed to be mostly afraid with the water depth and the sound of the tap, so I kept it low and the tap off before she got in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts