Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at my wits end. I Really need help, Any help or advice is appreciated.

I need to Build keelys confidance with other people, and i am not sure how to do it She is fine with Family and such, but with other people. Shes terribly afraid, alothough she doesnt really have a reason to be afraid.

For example, on walks, when a person is in their yard, walking towards us, walking behind us etc, She freaks out. She Perks her ears up, Barks, growls And lunges at people. I cant do anything to get her to stop, I try putting her in the sit stay position, And plan on rewarding her when she ignore the person. But she wont listen to me. She keeps barking, growling, And keeping a very close eye on them.She watches them like a hawk. I try Keeping her behind me, so she isnt in front and "in control" But that doesnt work. I try giving her a quick correction, to turn her attention away from the person, But that also does not work, at all.

If i stop the person, and stand up next to them, she will tuck her tail and hide behind my legs. Sometimes she will start shaking uncontrolably, and sometimes she will let out a random bark or growl.. Alothough she has yet to show a sign of trying to nip at them or bite them.. She tries to avoid looking at them, she tries to avoid touching them in any way.

She does this in the car, if we are parked and mom is gone into the store, and somebody walks out of the store/into the store, or walks towards the car, she does the same thing.

I know that it is fear.

I just dont know what to do I should mention that i would Definatly consult a professional, but their is not a trainer to be found in central newfoundland. I have searched google, and have asked the local vets, but they havent heard of, one.

oops. I forgot to introduce us first Keely is a Yorkshire terrier, She is my first dog, and i am 16 years old, And have been doing a pretty good job at being a first time "mommy' but with this, Im at a loss

Thanks in advance to anybody who responds..

Any questions or if you need more info on anything. Please feel free to ask

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Invite a friend to the house but, put your dog up before they get there. Have your friend sit down and then let your dog come out. Your friend cannot look at her or talk to her....neither can you. Have your friend toss treats in her direction....still without eye contact or discussion. You're trying to change her perception of strangers...good things can happen with strangers. The first breakthrough is when she moves closer (on her own) to the stranger. Second breakthrough is taking a treat out of a strangers hand (still no talking/touching or eye contact.....those are the last steps in this exercise).

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Almost forgot to mention

with a small dog such as a yorkie, a heavy duty oven mitt over a towel works well enough for a bite sleeve.

Don't EVER do what I said with a big dog with fear aggression unless you have bite equipment and the assistence of someone experienced.

and try asking your parents to help you find a professional...only try this stuff if there is TRULY no other option.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Desensitizing A Dog To Inanimate Objects Or Noises substitute humans for the object. Work SLOWLY and DO NOT give attention for fearful behavior EVER.

Since you don't have any accredited trainers in your area, invest heavily in books. Some good reads are:

CAUTIOUS CANINE, 2ND EDITION
by Patricia McConnell

CLICK TO CALM - HEALING THE AGGRESSIVE DOG
by Emma Parsons
(aggression and fear have many o the same protocols)

SCAREDY DOG! - UNDERSTANDING AND REHABILITATING YOUR REACTIVE DOG
by Ali Brown

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
First, listen to what everyone has already posted. A fearful dog is much more dangerous than a confident dog, because he may bite with no warning.

You didn't mention how old your dog is, so I believe that she is unsocialized with people. I also believe she may not like other dogs, either, but let's focus on people.

1. Get some tiny treats that she likes and that you can toss to her. Cooked hotdog or liver treats may work. Cut them into pieces that are 1/2 the size of a dime.

2. Sit in the Living room or a neutral area - like a dog park, if she is OK there, and simply toss her a few treats. When she is calm, toss her about 5 or 10 in a row, slowly.

3. Then, get a friend that is good with dogs to sit near you and to toss some treats. Toss just one, but don't look at the dog. When she eats it, toss a few more. After she has eaten about 10 from a non-family member, Stop.

4. Repeat this, twice a day, if possible, for about 10 minutes... for 3 days.

5. If she starts to get comfortable with this friend, expand the exercise by asking some of the people along the walk, do the same thing. Eventually, she may learn that people are OK.

6. Do NOT ask anyone to approach her. If she approaches, that may be OK, but she has to make the decision.

7. Do NOT hand her the treat, at first. Toss it to her. It is fine if it hits the ground. It is great if she has the confidence to catch them.

And try to get some professional help.

BTW, if you have any friends with calm dogs, like Labs or Goldens, you might introduce them to she if she is scared of other dogs...

- Hank Simon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts