Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I get ready to walk Luke and bring out his collar and harness, he looks at me, does a 360 turn and walks away. He'll round the dining room table with me following talking to him in a calm voice. Or as my mother says, he does the backwards moonwalk.

Once he's in his harness, he's fine. The only thing I can think of is that when he doesn't listen on the walk and doesn't listen to us when we say "come", we pull him. I'm trying to stop the pull, as in go up to him, say firmly "come Luke" and give a tug on the leash. I'm trying to stop my father from pulling him too hard now.

We don't want to walk him via his collar because he likes to pull and his neck is so small. Is there another reason he could have this fear of the harness, besides us pulling him?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
How about when he was attacked on his walk with your Dad? Maybe he doesn't want to go for a walk? Just a thought. :)

Eddee will not put his harness on unless he is up on a piece of furniture at almost eye level with me? :/ He loves his harness that way ... he will try and put it on himself. Just another thought.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abbylynn--no, this fear happened before the attack with my father occurred. I don't really remember when it started to happen. The funny thing is, when I do our 10min walks (and I know this is a big no-no) but I link two leashes together and he's fine. He'll sit as I loop over the one leash over his head and then he's raring to go, but the harness? "Come Luke. It's okay boy, c'mere...."

The second funny thing is, and we didn't teach him this, and he sounds like your Eddee too, is that once I do catch him, he lifts up his legs as I apply the harness. First the left, then the right, it's too cute. But like I said, break out the harness and he's...."Hey Luke, where did you go?"

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Any chance the harness could be rubbing him? the armpit area is a tender spot, some harnesses rub there, especially if he might have gained or lost a little weight and you haven't adjusted the harness lately (or the harness has stretched or loosed and isn't fitting right)

Chester got goofy about a backpack once and I looked him over to notice his armpits were raw. But it was a sudden change between one day being excited about the pack and the next, the opposite with a long hike between that cause it to rub.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Are you positive his harness is not pinching his underarms or something? I know I had Eddee's black harness a tad tighter than his blue one ... and he bulked at it. I loosened it a bit and he was fine. In fact he tries to chew through the chest strap if it is too tight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hitch is not fond of the harness also. He will walk away when I take it out. He has been doing this ever since we got him, do I don't think he is doing this because it doesn't fit. I can call him back and he will come and let me put it on. I have no clue why he does this.

He is fine when I just go to attach his leash to his normal collar.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers guys! Before we went out today, after I applied the harness, I felt if it was too close to his armpits and they seemed fine to me. I could put some fingers through, but then as we were walking I wondered if it rubbed as we walked. But he has shown no signs of discomfort as we walk. He's supposed to lose 2lbs. The first groomer we took him too, not there any more, shaved his armpits too close because I found out one day that they were just raw. And they've stayed like that, the hair has grown around it, but not on the spot.

I will try to adjust the harness to see if maybe he needs more room than he actually does have. Those harnesses are annoying to adjust, they either go to large or too small, but I guess it's just practice. Hitchington--if after I adjust the harness, I guess it's just b/c, like your dog, doesn't like it.
Maybe we did pull too much when he was younger when he didn't listen. *shrugs*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts