Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago we adopted a 4 year old Belgian Malinois. Rose has become a great addition to our household - lively, affectionate and pretty fearless. The vacuum cleaner and most loud noises in the house don't seem to bother her. She loves go go for walks and we've been all over the neighborhood. But she's not so fond of our own backyard. Our backyard borders a golf course, with a green just short distance beyond a narrow tree line. The sound of golf clubs hitting a golf ball seems to really frighten her. If we take her into the yard with us, she seems a little apprehensive, but she will stay and explore a little - until she hears the sound of the golf club. Then she immediately wants to leave the yard or go back into the house. This poses a problem since there are golfers on the course almost every day when the weather is half-decent. I want her to be able to enjoy the yard with us, and I don't know how to get her over this fear. I tried taking hot-dog treats along outside one day and tried to make it a game, where every time we heard the golf club I gave her a tasty treat - but it didn't work - she was more frightened by the noise than she was interested in the treats. She has some toys, but she's not very driven by them, so I'm also doubtful that I could distract her with toys. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm assuming it's the sound of a driver not a putt that spooks her? It's actually a pretty strange, sharp sound especially with the new metal drivers everyone is using. Have you tried showing her the source of the sound? Maybe take her to the course to help her understand the action/reaction.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
You have the right idea with the treats, but you need to start farther away from the sound so you're not trying to counter her full blown fear reaction.

What I would do is take her farther from the golf course, to where you can barely hear the sound. Far enough away that she isn't showing fear. If you have a friend that can hit some golf balls regularly for this, it would help. Give a treat everytime someone hits a drive. If she shows fear, get a little farther away and let her calm down and continue giving treats at the farther away location. Then go home. The next day, try to get a little closer to the sound and be giving really awesome treats. Basically, you want to get closer and closer gradually while reinforcing the "sound=treat" connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have the right idea with the treats, but you need to start farther away from the sound so you're not trying to counter her full blown fear reaction.

What I would do is take her farther from the golf course, to where you can barely hear the sound. Far enough away that she isn't showing fear. If you have a friend that can hit some golf balls regularly for this, it would help. Give a treat everytime someone hits a drive. If she shows fear, get a little farther away and let her calm down and continue giving treats at the farther away location. Then go home. The next day, try to get a little closer to the sound and be giving really awesome treats. Basically, you want to get closer and closer gradually while reinforcing the "sound=treat" connection.
Thanks. I noticed that she can be a little skittish if she hears a gunshot off in the distance (during hunting season), but she gets over it quickly, so it makes sense that the sound of the golf club would be similar. I have downloaded some WAV files of the sound - but I'm not sure they're realistic enough to elicit her reaction. I might try actually recording the sound in the backyard. If I could get a good recording, it might be realistic enough to be able to start playing it back at a low volume and then gradually increase the volume once I see it's not bothering her anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it is very difficult for you when the golfers are always hitting golf ball on nets in Golf Resort.I think your pet need good veterinary doctor or new pet friend so then they play with each other and his fear comes out.You should try it!! Best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I know it is very difficult for you when the golfers are always hitting golf ball on nets in Golf Resort.I think your pet need good veterinary doctor or new pet friend so then they play with each other and his fear comes out.You should try it!! Best of luck!!
what in the woooorld?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Some dogs have a greater fear of noises when they can't see the source. Follow Shell's advice....

If you can find a golfer friend, you might try taking her on the course during low activity, while the friend just pops balls into the air, to get your dog used to it.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Golfing is not for everyone..
(I personally dont like it very much...)
Have you ever seen the pictures of Dogs Playing Poker..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts