Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old puppy extremely socialized with other dogs and people. None aggressive but a puppy is a puppy and wants to play with everything. Shes with me 24/7.

The problem is that my roomates dog is apparently a fear biter he is about 5 years old and was abused before he came to us. Everytime my dog tries to play with him he nips growls. Last night the dog took it to far and full out attacked my puppy. Fortunately for the dog i wasnt in the room.

I was wondering is maybe muzzling the dog and let him and my dog free in the yard. So he cant hurt her and maybe he can relize she isnt trying to hurt him. Any other ideas would be great.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Muzzling the dog alone isn't going to solve anything other than preventing a possible bite. That may be good enough, but I'm assuming you want to get rid of the elder dog's fear(or whatever it is)? If so, then you need to give the elder dog a reason to change his mind about being with puppy, like giving him high prized food for ignoring the puppy or for being nice. But these things don't happen when the dog is forced(or flooded) to behave. You have to use distance, and time, to build up the new emotion. And still, their interactions need to be supervised.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
When you say "full out attacked" what did the dog do? Did he draw blood? Leave punctures? If he did, I would keep him separate from the pup. If he did not (and you weren't present to stop it) I would suggest that it may have been an appropriate communication to the puppy to quit bothering him. If nipping and growling doesn't get the message across, a more dramatic communication may be needed. A couple of generations ago, I had one dog who took the pup's HEAD in his mouth. Puppy screamed and carried on, and I was freaking out, but when the dog let go, pup's head was wet but did not have a mark on it. He also quit pestering the older dog after that. I would also consider that this is probably not a fear biting incident. It's more likely that the dog is annoyed by the pup than afraid of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No he did not draw blood because someone was there to separate them. There was no warning this time he just went nuts out of no where. I can understand that my pup is trying to play and this may annoy the dog and he will let out a growl or nip the air as a warning which at that point i take my dog away and leave the other dog alone. But to be honest the male dog which is the older one who bite my dog has been a problem since day one he has attacked me numerous times and everyone else who has been to my house he has drawn blood from people. Certain things ive noticed is that when people try to leave he attacks and i mean attack attacks full blown rage. He is a lopsaopsa terrior mix so he isnt a big dog but blood is blood. If someone trys to take something from him he bites at them. He is also a very codependent dog my roomate cant take a crap with out the dog trying to follow him in the bathroom and when he isnt aloud in he sits infront of the door. And wont move try to get him to move and he attacks you. Im not sure what is causing this behavior or how to resolve it. They wont take him for training and wont listen to me in terms of what i feel would benifit him. Their resolution is to put a muzzle on him at all times and i feel like that is sorta cruel to do to him in his own home. We cant have people over unless we put him in a room and leave him in there hes that much of a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"No he did not draw blood because someone was there to separate them"

No, no, no if they were in contact he didn't draw blood because he didn't want to. People just are not that fast.

You said he drew blood on people multiple times. By drawing blood do you mean tooth shaped punctures or a scrape from a nip that bleeds. There is a very big difference for rehabilitation purposes.

Does the dog get exercise training etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Puncture wounds yes for a few people and some scrapes for others. He bit me and drew blood and there were puncture wounds. And no they do not exercise this dog at all. He gets out in the yard which is large but he usually runs out goes to the bathroom and back to being up my roomates ass. He seems to be a pretty low energy dog but that could be just because he wont leave my friends side and the owners lazy.

In my opinion the dog does not get a single thing that he needs other then food and grooming. No training no correction of bad behavior at all not any that works he gets screamed at if it pisses my friend off but other then that nothing.

·
Banned
78 Posts
so your pup was taught a fast, and efficient lesson. Had the dog wanted to draw blood it would of. Dogs dont miss.
If you have control and could train this dog? perhaps you can introduce the dogs and teach 5 yr old 'gently' command, and reward it for being kind to pup.
Dogs lose their pup license around 6 months onward. You have till then, prior to this, the older dog is unlikely to kill your pup.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
This is your roommates dog? Why would you bring a puppy into this situation?

Stop being angry at the dog. His owner's not properly caring for him. That's not the dog's fault. He can't sign himself up for training.

As for the codependency, that's pretty normal for dogs. They don't get private time. After all, peeing is a public event for them, why would they understand peeing in private. Heck, between Muggsy, my mom's dogs and now Kabota, I only pee alone at work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1. If you have to put him in a room or crate when company comes is it really that big a deal? I mean ideally everyone has a perfectly socialized party dog but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

2. You seem to have some considerable hostility towards this dog and are venting. Maybe you two are caught in a downward cycle. Have you tried food treats? Maybe a little trick training with him? Take him for a walk, after your roommate snaps the leash on of course. It is your roommates dog. Most dogs will if not like at least tolerate the people they live with given a little positive social interaction. "Sending" him for training isn't going to get the same results that you will get if you just work with him a little.

3. On the lighter side... This is a what? 15lb dog? Some bitter apple sprayed onto work boots...that'll teach the little ankle biter. :laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts