Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help a dog with fear issues. The cause of the fear was probably improper or no socialization. He is a 10 month old weimeraner. He is scared of all people. Not any one demographic, just all strangers. The owners have him going to day care. He has no issues with other dogs. I'd love to start doing some obedience training with him, but he won't take treats. He does not respond to to praise and petting because he is scared.

How can I start to get him motivated?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
If he's too stressed to take treats, he's not ready to start training yet. I'd work on simple desensitization at a distance, probably using Karen Pryor's Relaxation protocol and throwing treats (or using a Manners Minder) to reduce the pressure of having a stranger interact with him.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Agree! Most professional photographers of dogs allow a half hour of interaction (just tossing treats, toys, balls, letting them get used to their surroundings, etc.)....no pressure to perform. Take it at the dogs pace....they'll let you know when they're ready.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have to agree...help him relax before trying to help him learn; that he's in a daycare situation in which people come and go is already a huge step up for him, if he was not in a socialized setting previously. Just let him come out of his shell on his own, without 'expectations' of him, right now...you'd be surprised at how quickly he will pick up on actual training later on, once he realizes he can trust certain people. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts