Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!
So I have a 10 month old german shepherd who's the sweetest cutest thing ever. Since he was a puppy (even though he's still young) he's always been very shy, when I bring/brought him to the dog park he kinda stands there and watches the other dogs, occasionally joining in on the play. However, he initiated play with my friends dog and unfortunately her dog snapped and attacked mine. It was pretty terrifying, he ended up with 5 stitches in his arm. I didn't want to overwhelm him, so I slowly started bringing him around dogs again (we have 2 at home he loves) I would keep him on leash, let a dog sniff him then head out and continue this for about 2 months then continued with the dog park and hiking etc.
I'm worried because I've heard that a lot of dogs who are timmid and shy when they're young develop aggressive tendencies when they're older. I'm worried that because he's always been a shy pup plus the traumatic event that he may have lost some trust in other dogs and confidence in himself and may act out as he's older. He's never showed fear aggression but I'm curious if anybody has experience with this and maybe how to avoid it if possible?! He's so sweet and innocent I would hate to see him turn aggressive one day :lie: Thank you!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Is he fear aggressive now? Timid and shy doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to have those issues in the future, and neither does being attacked. I mean, it doesn't help, but all is not lost!

I would focus on making his experiences with other dogs positive. Personally, I would stop taking him to dog parks since he doesn't seem overly enthused with it. Instead, let him play with known dogs that are known to be good with other dogs (not that friends dog, though!), but don't push him. Take him to obedience classes, other places with dogs, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to play. Sometimes you do find good playmates at classes though, and then you can set up play dates outside of class. Really, dogs are fine with just a few doggy friends.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
GSD's are watchers that would be normal to me. Dogs don't need strange dogs , they don't need to meet strange dogs, having manners out in public is more important. That they can stay on task with you out in public is important. You having other dogs at home is a plus and all your dog will ever need .. to learn and practice good social skills.

People forcing their dogs into bad situations, bad things can happen when they didn't need to happen to them. If you want to rebuild confidence in your dog, then go to a no contact training class. Let your dog learn trust in a room full of other dogs not paying attention to him, that strange dogs play by the rules....

End game for me is having a dog that an go anywhere and every where and they not interested in people and other dogs doing their own thing all around us. that I can go to a vet clinic that is packed and we can all sit side by side waiting our turn. Not important or a consideration that my dog go play with every dog and every person .. that is not what I got them for and it's not a job requirement for them to have to perform.

just depends on what your expectations you have and what dog you actually have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts