Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm back :) Bex has been doing great, and has matured into a wonderful, well behaved dog! My fiance decided a second dog to keep him company would be good since he hates being alone, so we looked into a rescue and found Kenna. She seems to be a husky mix, just turned five, smaller than Bex. She was an owner surrender; they bought her from a puppy mill to be a companion for another dog, and when that dog died of old age they apparently didn't want her anymore. In her previous home it seems she was never walked, socialized, or trained in any way. We took him to meet her at her foster home; they walked very well together (once she got the hang of the leash and her position just behind me), sniffed each other quietly, and seemed to get along fine, so we took her home.

As soon as we got home, before even going into the house, we leashed her up, brought out Bex, and went for a four mile walk all around the neighborhood and the campus farm. They walked side by side perfectly, didn't bother each other, she walked wonderfully with me without pulling. All well. We let her into the house, gave her the tour, still good. But now she seems very nervous of Bex in the house - if he walks towards her she slinks low and bares her teeth, but she doesn't growl, she makes a high pitched whistling noise. She has also attached herself to me more than my fiance. If she sees me petting Bex she whistles and whines and sometimes bares teeth at him, but doesn't mind him petting Bex.

I haven't let her "claim" me; that is, no climbing or jumping on me, no attention for rubbing on me, nothing like that. She just seems jealous of him getting attention when she wants it, and nervous of him approaching her. Her crate is her "safe place" she runs to when she gets too upset, and she sits in it howling and whining at me. She gets no attention for this. I pet her when she is lying quietly only.

So what can I do to stop her baring and snapping at Bex when he approaches or gets attention? She is always fine when they are walking or running around outside, just here in "his" territory she is nervous of him. I don't want to reprimand the behavior, since it will likely not help with her fear (make Bex = punishment) but how can I change the behavior? My fiance wants to return her already (he thinks she'll bite me, Bex, or a cat), but we've only had her since yesterday and I really want to try and make this home work for her!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You've got a really good handle on everything! That need for attention (me too!..me too!...because they are highly social animals) spills over whenever one dog gets petted and fawned over. The one who snaps and snarls immediately loses all of your attention...even if that's the one you're currently petting.

If it's the approaching dog that's doing the snarling, hold out your hand like a stop sign (body blocking). He/she should stop in their tracks and ideally just stand there...somewhat taken aback at being rebuffed. Ask that dog to sit and then give attention and petting (for sitting politely for the petting). You're trying to change the way in which the dog demands attention...instead of snarling...sitting nicely.

This isn't surefire. Even my two seniors (male & female) will snarl once in a great while because of the attention giving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts