Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has it's ups and downs. But I'm curious to know your favorite part about having/sitting/ playing with puppies?

Mine is when you teach them something new and they want to do it all the time! Taught Loki to speak this week on command and he just huffs, now he does it all the time at me when I have him sit. This is what seems to go through his mind now "sit ok, huff, Treat?"

·
Registered
179 Posts
I love how cute they are, especially their big eyes and paws and lack of coordination.

That's about it. TBH, I don't like young puppies very much. I much prefer adult dogs.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
They are vile, vile creatures in cute disguises.
I will totally agree with this. However, everything about those vile creatures is AMAZING. One of the best/favorite things for me is watching a puppy overcome a fear and learn that nothing bad is going to happen. Or watching the light bulb come for the first time when they realize what exactly it is you want of them.

Then there's just all the little things that are included in raising a puppy to an adult.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I will totally agree with this. However, everything about those vile creatures is AMAZING. One of the best/favorite things for me is watching a puppy overcome a fear and learn that nothing bad is going to happen. Or watching the light bulb come for the first time when they realize what exactly it is you want of them.

Then there's just all the little things that are included in raising a puppy to an adult.
Oh the things I've seen..

I also just raised Shambles from a puppy, so the magic there has also been stolen.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
My favorite thing was watching Mia experience things for the first time. I remember our first walk together on campus and how excited and happy she was about EVERYTHING. She was bouncing the whole way and kept jumping into the tall grass face first. You could tell so much was new to her.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Haha. Shambles. How you've made my night just by mentioning his name.

I have a love/hate relationship with puppyhood. Until I'm physically (and emotionally) unable to take raising a puppy I'll probably get one. When I reach that point...I'll start rescuing seniors.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I LOVE puppies and I love raising them. Obi was my first puppy I've had as an adult, and I found it overwhelming at the time, but also very rewarding, and I will definitely always get my dogs as puppies. I love just shaping them into the dog I want, their puppy enthusiasm for everything and their cute bellies. Nothing like a fat puppy belly.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Puppies are cute and it is fun to watch them try to sort out their growing bodies in play however, I prefer either older pups or adults. It is so nice to have a dog that can sleep through the night and hold their bladder until morning.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I loveeeee, everything about puppies.
I love their breath and their warmth. I love how they grunt and grumble when you pick them up.
I love the whining in the middle of the night and the sad look they give you when they have an accident.
I love the mouthing, and the waddling. I love how they crawl all over you and pull your hair and how they fall asleep on your stomach and you don't want to move them because they're so precious.
I love seeing them grow and learn from every little thing every single day and I love how they look to you as their everything.
I love their love of exploring and their unnecessary need to put everything in their mouth.

It does not bother me at all having to get up at all hours to be there for them. It does not bother me at all to have to be there for them for everything. I love having something around that looks to you as hir whole world. I love the training and the cleaning up messes and having to stay on my toes,
Weird as it sounds, I like the responsibility. I hope someday to be able to foster puppies. butt loads of puppies. yusssss

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I liked when Hamilton nursed in his sleep. I like his enthusiasm for new toys. Overall, however, I don't know that I'd ever get another puppy.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I like the process of guiding a needle-toothed, furry vampire into a sweet and gentle plush teddy bear. I am glad that they remain stuffed toys for longer than vampires.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My favorite thing was watching Mia experience things for the first time. I remember our first walk together on campus and how excited and happy she was about EVERYTHING. She was bouncing the whole way and kept jumping into the tall grass face first. You could tell so much was new to her.
That is what I was going to say too. It's fun to watch a puppy when it sees snow for the first time, or the beach, even a flower or butterfly.

Buffy was an easy puppy but I still don't see me getting another dog as a puppy anytime soon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Easy. Pink puppy bellies!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've had several dogs over the years but NO PUPPIES. I currently have 8 + 1 puppy, my first puppy in over 30yrs.
It used to be that just the thought of a puppy would make me cringe and run in the opposite direction. Then about a month ago I got a late evening call for an emergency rescue situation...for a puppy. o_O Hell no!!! I don't do puppies! But it was an emergency. Long story short, either we take it or it would be euthanized. We took it. >.<
I was prepared for the worst. As it turns out, our new addition has been an absolute sweetheart since day 2 (day 1, or more like night 1 was hell. nobody got sleep).
I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it has all been. Maybe I've just become more patient over the years. Not to mention my home is pretty much dog-proof since we do have so many.
I guess in the end it can be as easy, or as difficult, as you make it. We don't sweat the small stuff such as muddy paw prints, broken vases (we haven't had vase, not to mention a coffee table to put one on in years), chewed shoes, etc.
Of course the puppy isn't allowed in any room unsupervised. At night he sleeps next to my bed in case he needs to go out. Other than the first week he hasn't....so far.
He's about 3mos old now so we haven't gotten to the teething stage yet but we're prepared. I think.
Bottom line, so far I adore everything about my little guy. I love watching his personality develope. It was cute as heck when he found his voice and learned to bark. I feed raw and found it especially cute when he was able to eat an entire chicken quarter without it being cut up.
My most favorite thing about him though is how he behaves much like a human child when trying to wake him in the mornings. He will groan, roll over and try to hide under his blanket, stretch, yawn, roll over again, open one eye, etc... just downright adorable.

Maybe I got lucky and got a good puppy. I dunno.....
.....but this one makes me want another.

·
Registered
801 Posts
They're cute and funny, especially when they play with their stuffed toys and the stuffed animal ends up winning the wrestling match. Other than that, they are evil, foul-smelling beasts of sleep deprivation and masters of destruction. They're like evil superheroes in fluffy costumes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts