Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me apologize if I guessed which forum this belongs in incorrectly. I did a search for flea topics and saw them pretty spread out.

We are adopting a little shih tzu from the local humane society. We found him the day he was dropped off and we have had to wait a week because they will not release a dog that isn't spayed or neutered, until they are. Needless to say, we observed that he was flea ridden.

We have been pet owners (1 cat, 2 dogs one now deceased) for coming up on 7 years now and have never had a flea problem. The pets at home have never been on anti flea meds. I have no idea the best way to make sure that the little pup doesn't infest the house. He was given something to kill off the adult fleas that supposed to work for 24 hours and then he was supposed to have a topical put on. The lady could not be sure, but she thinks their current stock is Advantix (her lack of enthusiasm for her job was obvious).

What should I do to prepare the dog and cat at home for the fleas? Will the Advantix take care of the entire infestation problem or will they just keep hatching? If I treat the these animals and the puppy is treated, is my house safe? We have throw rugs and wood floor but 1 room with carpet that is a no dog zone. Is there anything I can put on the rugs and couches as a preventative? I am losing sleep over the idea of bringing fleas into the house, so please offer some help.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I'm sure the cat and dog won't be best buddies right at first, but one thing about Advantix is that it's very toxic to cats. So don't let your cat lick the dog for a month or so, or have any contact at all until the spot-on is dried (which it already will be if they apply it at the shelter). I like Advantage and Revolution best for cats and dogs.

I guess that if I was bringing a flea-ridden dog home from a shelter and was extremely motivated to prevent fleas in the house, I'd buy a 6-pack box of Capstar (the 24-hour pill) and give one to both the dog and the cat for 3 days in a row. That should take care of any stragglers, and the spot-on should take care of the unhatched eggs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pretty sure that the cat will hate me for a few days, but he will get over it. We did take him to the shelter to make sure the dog wouldn't go into attack mode and the pup couldn't have cared less about my cat. My cat was highly offended about being shoved into his cat carrier to go visit a dog, but that is neither here nor there.

I am pretty sure she said Advantix, but I will make sure when I pick him up tomorrow. I guess I will avoid that one for the other dog and continuing treatment options. For dosing on the spot on stuff my JRT comes in right at 10 lbs. Would I be safe to get the lower dosing so she and the puppy can use the same stuff in the future? I was surprised when the vet gave her the 11-22lb heartworm medicine. Looking at the Advantage stuff on Amazon, I am not seeing any that have tick control with it. Is it strictly a flea medicine without tick control? The JRT comes in with ticks on occasion. We currently just handle them as they come up.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yeah, Advantage and Revolution don't kill ticks. But I've found that the ones that do kill ticks aren't as effective against fleas (or are overly toxic to cats), and I'd rather kill all the fleas and take care of the ticks as they happen. If I lived somewhere with more of a tick problem I guess I'd have to rethink that.

But, really, Capstar is great stuff. I don't know what I'd do without it. The small size is for cats and dogs under 25 pounds, so you don't have to buy different sizes for all your pets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I guess we will keep handling the ticks as they come up. Is the Capstar sold in most pet stores? I don't know that I have enough time to order it online. I probably should be embarrassed to admit it, but my cat barely squeaks in under that weight limit. Should I give it to them after the puppy comes home or should I start it before?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Capstar starts working within 30 minutes and lasts 24 hours. So if you gave it right before you left to pick up the puppy, that would be fine. Or right after. But it wouldn't do any good to give it several hours before you pick up the pup. The shelter might sell you some, and vets usually have it. Pet stores are kind of spotty on availability. Some do, some don't.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I use Sentry Natural Defense flea shampoo as a regular shampoo, seems to do a good job of both killing anything on the dog and helping repel them. They make a cat shampoo also. Uses things like peppermint oil as a repellent. Any shampoo will help wash fleas away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your help. I managed to get my order for the Capstar in for Amazon yesterday and overnighted it. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime. I still haven't figured out which topical I want to use though, so I am going to the pet store to see what they have today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another thing to consider (because we found out the hard way) is that your dog may be allergic to fleas. Our dog had been treated for fleas before we took her home but developed a bacterial infection from all the itching. Just something to watch out for.....

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've applied Frontline to my dog a couple weeks ago and I haven't seen any results yet. :/ Frontline used to work GREAT on our family's Westie but doesn't seem to be helping my dog at all. I'm now looking into oral tablets and I've heard good things about Capstar and Comfortis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts