Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Personally, I love baking homemade and all natural treats for Angel, and I was wondering if there were any of you out there with the same passion :D. So, If you have a bunch of dog treat recipes, you can just post your fav, or you can post all of them! I'd love to see some of your recipes and maybe even see if Angel likes them. Here we go, I'll start with one of my favorites:

Doggie Peanut Butter Delights

Ingredients
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon molasses
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
cookie cutters (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F*. Mix the peanut butter, milk and molasses. In a seperate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder, then add it to the wet ingredients. Knead until blended and press into a ball. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut out the shapes with the cookie cutters. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 20 min (or more, start with 20, but go up gradually if toothpick inserted in center of one dough piece doesn't come out clean). Cool before feeding to your dog.

*F stands for Farenheit (sp?)

I love this recipe because Angel just seems to love it so much and because it is so easy to make.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Great idea! I need some recipes! One year, some friends of mine gave Christmas cookies to their friends, then anyone who had dogs got a small plastic sealed container filled with homemade dog treats. The Container had the dogs names on them. It was SO COOL! I want to do that next year!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, that sounds like fun! Here's another recipe I tested on Angel just yesterday; as expected, she loved 'em! :D

Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients
1 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 cup honey 1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 egg
1tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients well, Spoon the batter into muffin cups, 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes. The muffins are completely baked when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let them cool, and then remove them from the pan.

Makes approximately 12 regular sized muffins.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That looks kinda good. Can people eat them, too?? LOL

·
Registered
642 Posts
Those look really good and easy. I just bought a book called You Bake 'em Dog Biscuits. It has great recipes in it, but some of them call for unusual or uncommon ingredients. I spent hours yesterday baking for Reuben, and he loves all the things I made!
Some of them sound gross, and believe me, the liver DID gross me out a bit, but anything for our pups, right?

Low-Fat Cream Cheese Biscuits
Rube's not fat, but he loves these:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup oatmeal
3 oz. non-fat cream cheese
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup water
Garlic powder for sprinkling

Preheat over to 375
Combine flour adn oatmeal in a large bowl. Place cream cheese, applesauce, and water in food processor and mix until cream cheese is liquefied. Pour cheese/applesauce mixture into dry ingredients and mix. Knead into a dough, adding extra flour if necessary. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to about 1/4 inch and sprinkle with garlic poweder. cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies on a baking sheet with greased or non-stick foil. Bake 20 minutes. Store fridge in airtight container.

Liver Rye Training Treats--these are great because it makes a BUNCH of little treats. And Rube loves 'em.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rye flour (I couldn't find this at the store, so substitute whatever flour you have. It'll turn out.)
1 pound beef liver with juice (yum)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit
In large bowl, combine flours. Puree the liver in food processor. Once liquefied, add olive oil and eggs and continue processing until well combined. Pour liver mixture into the dry mixture and mix with spoon. Pour onto a baking sheet with greased foil and spread evenly with wet spatula. Bake 15 minutes or until top is firm. remove from oven and let cool about 30 minutes. Turn dough over peel off foil and cut into small treats. Store in fridge in airtight container.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do you know how long you can store the peanut butter treats? My dog loves something called "Buddy Biscuits Peanut Butter Madness". But they are $6 for a little bag!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
take one raw sweet potatoe and throw it in the blender with a package of calf liver. blend well ..

mix in two eggs

shape into balls and bake.

freeze.

easy like pie.

·
Registered
8 Posts
*watches* as a new owner of two puppies I'm looking forward to making Sophie and Jack-Jack treats. I've searched for a few recipes but I haven't made any yet. We are using the few that I bought for the moment. But i'm a stay at home mom with plenty of time to do these things and can't want to find a few recipes to try.

·
Registered
691 Posts
These are like frosty paws, but better, and can be consumed by us humans too ;):

32 oz. vanilla or plain yogurt
1 mashed banana or jar of banana baby food
2 tbs honey
2 tbs peanut butter

Mix until smooth. Fill 3 oz. cups or ice cube tray and freeze. I used Dixie cups and lined them in a deep baking dish and covered with saran wrap until frozen. After they freeze, you can put them in a big zip loc baggie to store. The dixie cups peel right off - it's not a big deal but takes some time.

Of course my picky puppy won't eat them, however, all the neighborhood dogs loved them when I shared recently.

Variation: use jars of carrot or sweet potato baby food. I omitted the PB and used sweet potato baby food and she did eat those! You can half the recipie too, as this recipie filled about 20 cups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts