Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for games to play with my dogs, preferably ones I can do with two dogs, using a long leash. I've noticed lately that play time has become a chore for me, since the dogs usually play with each other and pay little attention to me.
We like to play hide and seek. Fetch is a bit harder (my dogs are not very good at it).
I am especially looking for games that teach them obedience and good behavior at the same time. (or at least no bad behavior)

So what are your favorite games to play with your dogs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
We play tug-o-war (supposed to be good for bite inhibition)

We play take it/ leave it

We also play go find so and so. (Supposed to be good for the intellect)

Can you separate them?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We play tug-o-war (supposed to be good for bite inhibition)

We play take it/ leave it

We also play go find so and so. (Supposed to be good for the intellect)

Can you separate them?
Not easily. They are used to being together all the time, and if I take one out to play, the other assumes that she should come too and she will bark and whine if left behind.
It's something I need to work on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like "round Robin" treats. My dogs will sit in a semi-circle around me when I pull out treats, and I call their names one by one, at which point they jump up and get their treat. This also helps work on problems with resource guarding, since they have to wait their turn. They're very happy to do this whenever I grab treats, and it's cool to watch. My youngest likes me to chase him. I have an island in my kitchen, and if I'm up and feel like it, I might say, "I'm going to get the boy!" and he jumps up and runs (slowly) away from me around the island, butt waving around happily. If he has a toy, it's even better. The little bugger will often look back and wait it he gets too far ahead, and will try to fake me out by retracing steps if he ends up on the opposite side where I can't see him. He's the only one I can chase with good results, so some of the games you'll play might be specific to the dog. My other canine kids don't like that game, but they LOVE playing fetch.

None of these are real "leash games", so sorry if they're not applicable to your need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts