Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on getting my website done and overthinking a lot of it. Plus like different ideas of course!

I know I like some things of course, like information and such.

And I dislike things like a 'paypal puppy for sale' page, the annoying music blasting and the mousetrails that follow the curser.....

So thought I'd see what good, cool sites are out there you know of and what you like about them! I know there's one I like the start of, even though they're a puppy mill type breeder, the intro is nice...

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
If it is a breeders website(I think this is what you are talking bout) I like to see pics of all there dogs, info on them(health clearances done and pedigree) With pics I really like it when they put up puppy to adult pics just to see the changes in their dogs. I don't like the music, it gets really annoying and I just turn off my speakers. Give some background info on themselves, like how long they have been breeding, why did they want to start breeding ect..

Sorry if that was not what you were asking I was a bit confused,lol.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have had some good feedback on my site. I haven't bred a litter yet (hoping for early next year) so I don't have any puppy pics yet, but plan on it once I breed (I, too, like the idea of chronicling the changes they go through from puppy to adult!). I like things simple and organized, yet informational. I plan on adding a section talking about the breed eventually as well. I haven't really messed with the site in a while except for the blog LOL.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I know people have said they like the layout of my site. Here's one that's really nice (please note, sharing beautiful websites does not equate to my endorsing said breeders)

http://www.huskavarna.net/

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I know people have said they like the layout of my site. Here's one that's really nice (please note, sharing beautiful websites does not equate to my endorsing said breeders)

http://www.huskavarna.net/
I like your site, too, Xeph!

Yeah I've seen Huskavarna's before - I think they did a really nice job with it.

ETA - Here's my site for anyone interested... Needs to be updated a bit and I will be adding more as we figure out if/when we will be breeding Bubbles (including her test results, info on puppies, and breed info):
http://www.loistavakennels.com/

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I want a contract (or sample contract) on the site because I want to know what I am getting into before I make the plunge.
I HATE music on websites, normally I have other music playing on my computer, thus its annoying.
I don't like things that move or chase my mouse.
I like a site that is easy to navigate.
Red sites make my eyes hurt, as do bright oranges or yellows. Make sure your colors look good and you can still read the words, its quite annoying to have to highlight every word to read it.
I like lots of pictures (but spread over the site, not a picture dump on the first page.)

I want to see a picture (and a bio) of every breeding dog on the place (or brought in).

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Most of the sites I've liked have been simple, but elegant, not flashy or cutesy. Here are a few:
Unique
Penndragon
Cabernet
Desert Reef

I like Finkie_Mom's site quite a bit.

Information I like to see includes
-current dogs in program with pedigrees, titles, and health testing
-general information about the breed, e.g., temperament, health concerns, general care, activity level [I'd really like to see a "day in the life" sort of piece to give people new to the breed (or dogs in general) an idea of how their lives will change if they get a dog]
-about the breeder(s): how & why they started, breeding goals & philosophy, and history of breeding program
-how puppies are raised
-how the dogs live other than shows and performance events
-pictures of dogs in formal and informal settings
-accomplishments of "pet" dogs owned by others
-puppy application
-general dog care & training information or links to good information (this is a nice bonus; plus, if I find a reputable breeder, I have a good idea I can trust their advice)

Stuff that sours me on a breeder includes
-too much personal information unrelated to dogs
-referring to their dogs as "boys & girls" or "lords & ladies" (too cutesy for me)
-referring to their dogs as "moms & dads" or "sires & dams" (makes it sound as though they are nothing more than breeding machines)
-busy pages with too many colors, images, and/or text scattered across the page
-political or religious statements
-for lack of a better phrase, marketing terms (for example, with poodles, teacup, royal, and chocolate are generally descriptors used by less than reputable breeders)

Sorry if I offend anyone here.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Thank you much :) A friend designed it for me, but I put all the information and what not there myself.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Good thread. I've yet to buy a pup from a breeder but I'm in the preliminary search phase for future puppies.

I want a site that's easy to navigate. I like simple tabs at the top of the page(About us, Our males, Our females, Puppies past and present, Available, Gallery, etc.). NO music. That's just irritating.

I like to see as much information as I can on their site... I need extra convincing that this particular breeding is worth contacting.

Each dog having its own page with just a few pictures from puppyhood to adulthood. Some sites have 80 million pictures on one page and my computer struggles. For the individual dogs, I want to see health clearances, pedigree, achievements, and present/future goals or goings on.

I don't care so much about cutesy puppy pictures as I do information about how they're raised, how to apply for a puppy, a sample contract, and links to their dam and sire. If there are no puppies at the time, I'd like to see when the plans are for future litters.

A photo gallery is nice to see too. Again, my computer is happier with individual pictures to click on or a slide show versus picture overload. I like to see everything that the dogs do(conformation, herding, agility, etc.).

Just my two bits. Buying a puppy is still a ways off for me so I've been perusing many sites.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
We had a thread like this quite a while back, and I dug up my post:

I want nice, big, clear pictures of the actual dogs (each dog should have its own page with several pics, including stacked shots). We've all seen the sites with tiny (or dark, or even blurry) candid pics of the dogs, and that tells you nothing about the dogs' structure and quality. And when you have a litter for sale, please, nice big clear pics of the pups, too!

So many breeders' sites look like they were made using a website builder in 1998. I like something non-cluttered, with a simple color scheme. Let the dogs' pics be what attracts the eye, not bright colors and tons of different frames with their own scrollbars.

I like the look of this site: http://maribesopapillons.com/index.html
This one is pretty good: http://www.wowakk.com/ (I like how they have the dogs' pedigrees easily visible on their pages.)
And I like the simple look of this one: http://www.nordicminihuskys.com/

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Those who checked out my site saw that I only have a single shot of a dog up, and the dog is stacked (except Strauss). Personally, I don't like doing individual pages or bios, not because I don't want to share, but because to me, it looks extremely cluttered.

If people would like to ask me more about the dogs as individuals, all they need to do is e-mail me and ask. I am also personally not terribly interested in candid shots of dogs, and thus don't put any on my website. Now, because I claim to do so many things with my dogs, I DO have pictures/video of my dogs engaging in these activities as proof that can be provided upon request, but I don't want them up all over my website.

My website is meant to be a quick overview of what I have to offer, but I am the person to talk to for in depth information.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but just a few points:

-no flash, I do a lot of things on my iphone and i hate when sites wont open up on it.
-in the description of your dogs, its nice to have a OFA/CHIC number so its easier to pull up their page on the ofa site (instead of having to scroll through their huge list of breeds, ect)
-I like seeing both show and pet pictures- we want to see your dogs at their best, but its also nice to see a shot or two of them playing with a ball or doing agility or something else more "normal pet"
-some sort of information on your puppy page. if you rarely have litters, PLEASE just say it. if you already have a two year waiting list, PLEASE just say it. It makes potential parents first email to you much easier.
-provide an actual email address instead of one of those "contact me right here on the page" boxes. i never know if my email actually got sent on those things.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My job is web design and development for the corporate environment. I know a professional website isn't cheap but one doesn't have to use web designs from 1998. There are plenty of great, free, templates available and modern (free) website creation tools. There's no reason to use Microsoft Word to build a website!

We've only bought from one breeder online and that was for our Persian cat. She had a typical '98 style site with cutesy stuff like music, scrolling/bouncy stuff and the like. What won us over was her YouTube channel and her Facebook pages. She was even willing to send us extra videos of the cat we were considering. We also got see videos of his mom and dad. Here's the video of our kitten at 2 weeks old.

I think one of the big keys is having a good social media presence (ie Facebook, YouTube and maybe Twitter). Most breeders don't do this very well.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I like the WOWAKK site as well, especially the FAQ and detailed breed description sections. It's good to explain to potential owners what is meant by show quality and pet quality and why a "just a pet" owner would want a dog from a show breeder. I like, too, that prices are listed even though I know many are against it. I find price awkward to discuss with breeders (as in, I didn't know the price for my dog until we got the contract).

Also, in some ways, a breeder might want to note the downside of their breed to ensure people know exactly what they're getting into. When I'm researching breeds, one of the first places I look is breed-specific rescue sites. They usually have a pretty good "this isn't the breed for you if..." section.

I understand the points made about picture overload on sites. I think two pictures of each dog, one stacked and one relaxed (e.g., playing ball, lounging in the sun, etc.) is sufficient. One or two "puppy to adult" features is nice, perhaps for most recent additions or current "puppy parents," but not necessary. Going back to the "just a pet" buyer, I think having the relaxed / candid photos help to change the perception that show or performance dogs are somehow different from regular pet dogs.

There is a balance between having too much and too little information. There is a certain basic level I like to see (I think Xeph has enough relevant information on her site to be just right: pedigree, test results, accomplishments). If I were looking for a GSD, I'd certainly contact her to learn more. But, because breeders are busy people, I'm hesitant to contact them if I'm just investigating them or if I'm unsure about their program.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, this helps a lot!

I don't think I would put a full contract online, because there may be changes made depending and there is the risk of byb's stealing ideas. But I will put a summary on so if people aren't happy with the basic idea, they can go elsewhere.

I do like the idea of some shots, but not a ton, stacked shots and some show shots as those get done too. I think I'll do a gallery for each dog for the bulk of them so it's optional.

Not as worried about being big on facebook, generally those are not the places to attract responsible buyers IMO. There are a few border collie breeders who use facebook to sell sell sell, going fast, last chance today, all dogs must go..... and I'd rather not be part of that. I am working on the local dog group, have to be a member for so long then apply for the breeder's listing with two existing members vouching for me. There's a few other clubs and listings I'll get on when the time is right too.

Will be adding a 'what border collies are really like' section as well.

I did like the suggestion to go to the breed database for more information on pedigrees. The border collie one you do have to sign up for, but it's still interesting to go read about and it has a lot of features.

My DH is a web designer, so he's going to do most of the actual work (I hope).

I also hate sites with a lot of flash, when it's a business and you're looking up their site on your phone to find them there's nothing worse than it not loading up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts