Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Parus.....instead of a Giant Schnauzer, you might consider a Standard Schnauzer. Not quite as large but good temperament and robust dog. I think Standards are more available in USA.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
It's just that the attitude of dog acting up on-leash = untrained and bad/lazy/ignorant owner is depressingly common, and it's honestly discouraging and unfair to people who have put in hours of behavior modification work. It's hard to remember sometimes that when we compare a strange dog on the street to our mental image of a well-trained dog, we're missing a lot of context.
Heh. Someone made a rather unkind comment to me when I came into a new session of dog classes with Jet, because he was walking on the leash like a pinball bouncing around in the machine. (He gets really overexcited about new dogs and new places. We're working on it.) I was just like, yes, that is why we are going to obedience class, thank you. Go pet your docile little floof dog and shut up. (I only thought that second sentence, lol.) The only way to work on these behaviors is to go to places that have the potential to trigger these behaviors, so putting yourself out there is part of the process of improvement. Sure, it's one thing if the owner is allowing the dog to be out of their control or do something dangerous or rude, but other than that IMO it's not helpful to be judgemental about a work in progress.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Parus.....instead of a Giant Schnauzer, you might consider a Standard Schnauzer. Not quite as large but good temperament and robust dog. I think Standards are more available in USA.
In the US they are actually the least common of the three Schnauzer varieties.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Parus....Hmmmmm....I have searched for breeders of standards and giant in USA. I saw more standards than giants. Anyhow, just a suggestion. MiniS are big dogs in a great little package, but I think a MiniS is too small for your liking.

You had control of Jet as he was playing pinball. I know I would have avoided a dog/dog interaction. Considering you were in a class to learn training, then I would have dismissed ill thoughts and just figured you had a new dog involved in learning.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Parus....Hmmmmm....I have searched for breeders of standards and giant in USA. I saw more standards than giants. Anyhow, just a suggestion. MiniS are big dogs in a great little package, but I think a MiniS is too small for your liking.
Minis were the 18th most common registered dog breed in the US in 2017. Standards were the 90th. Giants were the 80th. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/most-popular-dog-breeds-full-ranking-list/ AFAIK it's common for Giant litters to be spoken for, so it's not surprising if you didn't see a ton of ads for them.

FWIW, Standards aren't just bigger minis (or vice versa). There are some distinct differences in temperament and tendencies between the three breeds that can make one or another more suitable for various people and situations, even besides the size issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love Dutch Shepherds and Chihuahuas. Both are very independent breeds that can be incredibly stubborn. I like that. That's my kind of dog, super fun to train. I like breeds that tend to question "are you really worth listening to?" instead of just blindly obeying anyone with a treat. Makes for fiercely loyal dogs once you bond with them. I also am a fan of Border Collies but would never personally own one. They are that breed I like from afar lol I know I would bore the heck out of a Border Collie and then it would end up driving me insane so realistically I would never get one despite liking them.

Dislike.. hmm Pomeranian is definitely up there. Never met one that I liked, even well trained ones have just been nasty out in public. Also don't like the look of them either, too much fluff. I am also not a fan of any of the Bully breeds. Not my kind of temperament and find majority of them ugly. Oh and Bulldogs are much too lazy for me, have not met one that will get off the couch for anything except for food!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I love Dutch Shepherds and Chihuahuas. Both are very independent breeds that can be incredibly stubborn. I like that. That's my kind of dog, super fun to train. I like breeds that tend to question "are you really worth listening to?" instead of just blindly obeying anyone with a treat. Makes for fiercely loyal dogs once you bond with them. I also am a fan of Border Collies but would never personally own one. They are that breed I like from afar lol I know I would bore the heck out of a Border Collie and then it would end up driving me insane so realistically I would never get one despite liking them.

Dislike.. hmm Pomeranian is definitely up there. Never met one that I liked, even well trained ones have just been nasty out in public. Also don't like the look of them either, too much fluff. I am also not a fan of any of the Bully breeds. Not my kind of temperament and find majority of them ugly. Oh and Bulldogs are much too lazy for me, have not met one that will get off the couch for anything except for food!
I love your honesty! Haha

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Heh. Someone made a rather unkind comment to me when I came into a new session of dog classes with Jet, because he was walking on the leash like a pinball bouncing around in the machine. (He gets really overexcited about new dogs and new places. We're working on it.) I was just like, yes, that is why we are going to obedience class, thank you. Go pet your docile little floof dog and shut up. (I only thought that second sentence, lol.) The only way to work on these behaviors is to go to places that have the potential to trigger these behaviors, so putting yourself out there is part of the process of improvement. Sure, it's one thing if the owner is allowing the dog to be out of their control or do something dangerous or rude, but other than that IMO it's not helpful to be judgemental about a work in progress.
Hah! Poodles. I love their enthusiasm, really I do, but it does have a tendency to go over the top.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I get why other people like GSDs and similar breeds (e.g. Malamutes)
o_O I meant Malinois, durr.

Hah! Poodles. I love their enthusiasm, really I do, but it does have a tendency to go over the top.
Yes, lol. Jet is permanently turned up to 11. I love him and he's very funny, but it's A LOT. He spent his first puppy class just jumping up and down and yodeling, he was so amped up. On the bright side, when he directs this enthusiasm toward a job he's really amazing.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Oh and Bulldogs are much too lazy for me, have not met one that will get off the couch for anything except for food!
Aha! There's a breed I would never own lol. I think they're cute but I need a dog down to go hiking and backpacking any time any day. Really any of the brachycephalic breeds I would be concerned to own just because I need a dog to keep up with my lifestyle and breathing issues aren't conducive to that.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts