Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story that I don't want to get too into. Tldr; my mom's old dog (she died a few years ago) is now 'mine'. I picked him up last weekend. He's 7 years old, papillon. He's also obese.

He has been free fed most of his life. He did fine on that until he was neutered and then he ballooned up. He has had no exercise at all since my mom died outside of playing in the house or yard for the most part.

Also, background information: He's had a history of issues with food. He was on Purina and Iams for years until he was about 3 and throughout those years always had trouble. At 3 he went with a handler to show and she fed raw. He looked very good on raw. Since then he's been on a variety of grain free and higher quality grain kibbles- canidae, Innova Evo, California Naturals, and I could go on- many varieties and protein sources. He has almsot constant runs on them all and I still don't know why. The only foods he does okay on are Fromm Duck and Potato, Eagle Pack Holistics Select Duck, and what he is on right now which is TOTW Wetlands. I feed my two dogs raw almost every meal but keep a bag of whatever kibble I find on hand. They both have iron stomachs.

Picture to see what I'm working with. He and Summer are the same age, related, Summer is a little taller fwiw.

So for now I've started him on 1/4 a cup which is what Summer and mia get if they get kibble. I was wondering about switching him to premade raw that is a duck formula of some sort because it does seem like duck is what he does best on in kibble. But I am sure when his handler had him, he was getting mainly chicken. I know my two dogs tend to keep trimmer easier on raw.

Anyways, since I have no idea how much he ate previously, how low do I start him on food now? I've been trying to incorporate him into our walks but it's been flooding here so that hasn't happened often at all. So far I have not noticed much of a difference with his weight yet.

I'm not sure which section to put this in so I put it here. :p

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If he were in my care, he would be on raw. Since your other dogs are on raw, it would probably be easier anyhow to just have them all on raw anyhow.

Since he's overweight, try chicken with the fat trimmed off. Aim for chicken that if free of enhancements, of course. He should start to slim down. Oh, 2-3% of his i de al body weight is the norm, but since he's not very active it probably wouldn't hurt to do a little less than 2%.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I also think raw would be fine since that's what you feed the others. He might have an adjustment period with loose poops and tummy upset but I think he'd adjust well since he was on raw before. Because he's so little I actually think that 2-3% of his *ideal* weight is still a good number and he wouldn't need less unless he's very inactive. Little dogs take much more energy to do things, even like walk across the room- takes them 20 steps where it takes a big dog only 6 steps. Some little dogs even need over 5% to maintain weight. I'd start him at the amount you feed your own dogs. You don't want him to drop weight too quickly. That's a lot of fat for his little body to process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts