Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, if you've had a similar experience.

I adopted a dog almost 2 weeks ago who had been recently hit by a car and sustained two pelvic fractures. She's a pomeranian mix, about 1.5 years old, lightweight, and otherwise seems healthy. When I saw her in the shelter, she of course looked miserable and in pain and the vet there told me to keep her on bed rest for 6 weeks and the prognosis was good for full recovery.

I then took her to a vet for proper xrays and pain meds. That vet actually recommended surgery, but accepted bedrest as an option, so I thought we would give it a shot and then have her x-rayed again in 4 weeks.

It has been two weeks at home of keeping her in my small apt, and she already seems like a new dog. She eats well, is showing much less pain in her posture, is wagging, loving, urinates/defecates normally, and is using her leg to run and jump (I know, big no no). She is showing so much use of her leg, I've been letting her move freely inside--but technically she has 2 weeks left of bedrest!

Just a bit confusing, after such a mixed prognosis from the two different vets. She seems like a good candidate to me, bc of her age, size, and the fact she doesn't have a problem urinating etc... but has anyone out there let their dog jump the gun too soon on their fracture recovery and had problems healing later on?

I promise I will ask the vet but I appreciate hearing everyone's experiences first. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
We once had a young dog come into our shelter. He was excitable and jumped up on people every chance he got, would spend as long in the fetch yard as volunteers could stand. About a week after he arrived, a volunteer reported a very slight limp to the vet staff. Turns out his femur was completely shattered.

Dogs, especially excitable young puppies, can be really good at hiding pain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. That is crazy. I will take that to heart. At first I thought being adopted would decrease her stress and help her heal, but this makes me think it might just be making her hide her pain more--since she is just excited to be with us. Thank you for sharing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts