Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok--I mean on the bag it should tell you for each individual bag. All bags have it and most web sites will show you that I am surprised I cannot find it on Chewy.
Protein 24%
Crude fat 12%

All bags show this someplace. I have him on a low fat diet, at 7% on Annamaet so I am concerned about the fat content. Thanks.
You can find all of this information on Farmina's website. I'll post the links for you anyway

http://usa.farmina.com/?q=content/product/chicken-ancestral-grain-recipe-adult
http://usa.farmina.com/?q=content/product/grass‐fed-lamb-ancestral-grain-recipe
http://usa.farmina.com/?q=content/product/nd-ancestral-dog-codfish-orange-31

These are the links to the Grain Inclusive recipes on Farmina's website. It will tell you fat, protein, ingredients, etc. If you want to see the grain free formulas click on the products tab at the top of the website. If you still can't find the grain free formula information I'll post those links for you too :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thank-you. Yes that is it--they are all 18% and I am feeding 7% right now. A bit to high for me I am afraid. But thanks it looks like fabulous food.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why are you feeding a low fat food if you don't mind me asking? Is it for weight loss? Just wondering because my dog needs to lose weight and she's actually having great success on the Farmina mixed with wet food, despite the higher fat.

Annamaet is a great food though! It's one of the few brands I really like and have a lot of trust in. So if that's working for you I'd stick with it for now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes it is because he was over 20 and now he is 18. They would like to see 17 but I will take the 18 pounds. He is Bichon Frise. He is not the tiny kind to begin with he was 10 when we got him at 4 months.

What wet food do you feed your dog mixed with Farmina? Do they make a wet food? He itches a lot and I am afraid it is because of the low fat not sure. He has one little hot spot not real bad, but I think it is because of chicken that is why I was thinking of switching. His low fat is chicken, duck and herring it is 3 proteins. Prior to Annamaet he was on Natures Variety Duck. It was very high in fat and that is how he gained so much weight.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Right now I'm using Hound & Gatos canned food. They have a bunch if single proteins and they are 98% meat. I'm currently using the rabbit since it has the least amount of calories and a moderate amount of fat. The reason I use the wet food is because she can eat more of it for a small amount of calories. So it really helps her feel full. I also think the lower carbs probably helps with weight loss. Unfortunately, Farmina doesn't make wet food. I wish they did, it would probably be really good.

My girl is now 8 pounds 4 ounces and should be somewhere around 7 pounds 12 ounces. She used to be 11 pounds!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Great point about the wet food being heavier and making them feel full. I have purchased several Earthborn wet food containers. A bit pricy but for a small dog it is more affordable. They run over $2.00 per container but they are awesome. The container itself is of high quality and make great containers for leftovers and wash them in the DW. I think I might be paying for the containers LOL. Any rate he loves that food, they have a great duck meal and the food is not compressed like canned wet food often is. When changing sometimes he throws up but he has never on this Earthborn. It serves as a great topper.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Just got our first bag for Farmina low grain, Cod formula from Chewy. Ryker is super picky when it comes to kibble. This is the first kibble that he eats immediately after I put it down! I love the large kibble size as well. Still integrating it so not sure how it will effect his poos.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just ordered the Wild Cod and Ancestral Low-Grain too! I'm thinking that Charlie may have a chicken allergy so I figured I'd see how he does on the chicken free. I also wanted to try the larger size kibble since his TOTW and FROMM kibble slips right out of his Kong Genius toy (thanks to recommendations on the forum!).

Throughout his first year this is what we've tried:
Blue Buffalo - he was eating this at the rescue so I kept him on it when we brought him home. He did very poorly on the food, vomiting, loose stools, lots of eye gunk, itchy skin... obviously decided to switch!
Dr. Tims - No more vomiting/diarrhea/eye gunk, but he was still very itchy. They only have a chicken option :(
TOTW Pacific Stream - He did great on this food, although stool size increased.
Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato - No complaints
TOTW High Prairie (contains chicken meal) - Itchy face with a hotspot on his inner thigh.

My observations could be total coincidence, but I figured I'd try to avoid chicken for now and see if he improves on Farmina.

@Rescued - you mentioned increased eye goop, if you happen to see this post did it seem to be seasonal allergies or did you determine it was from the food?

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
This food goes a long way, it is on the rich side so feed less of it. 30% minimum protein and 18% minimum fat are rich and they probably test higher, be stingy.
Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Ok so far it has made poops too soft and they are farting a lot. I tried feeding less and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Should I give it more time?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It looks like my guy isn't doing to well on it. He's been itching and we just learned his mystery allergy is to chicken eggs. Unfortunately all of their formulas are chicken egg inclusive. I'm kinda bummed since I wanted to add this food to Juu's rotation.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
It looks like my guy isn't doing to well on it. He's been itching and we just learned his mystery allergy is to chicken eggs. Unfortunately all of their formulas are chicken egg inclusive. I'm kinda bummed since I wanted to add this food to Juu's rotation.
You can try Annamaet Option, I don't believe it has any chicken products in it. I was going to try Farmina just to have another food available but they don't have the flavors in 5 lb bags anymore. I feed Zoey Annamaet Extra and she is doing well on it but that is chicken based.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts