Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me tell you about my morning so far. First my schedule at work got switched up a bit so I have to be there at 10 am, so this morning I drug myself out of bed at 5am so I had time to get all three girls a walk and some long line time before work. After a cup of coffee I headed out with Cara for a walk, now I considered taking Mina out first because she was being whiny this morning but it's a good thing I changed my mind. Why? Because half way through Cara's walk we were charged by two off leash dogs that were easily twice her size. I followed my first instinct and picked Cara up because well she's petite and easy to tuck under an arm and she would have stood no chance had a fight broken out (not the brightest idea I know). So I'm standing there with Cara tucked under one arm throwing rocks at the two 60-70lb dogs standing in front of my barking/growling with their hackles raised and yelling at them to go home. Around this time I notice this man slowly meander to the fence the dogs had slipped under (think livestock fencing there was no way it was meant to contain the dogs). He took his sweet time coming over and then calls his dogs back with a 'oh they just wanted to play'.

I went off on him. First of all, nothing about either dogs body language said 'oh hi I want to play'. Second of all, what if my dogs isn't dog friendly? Did that not even cross your mind? Either way I ended up yelling at this guy at 6am about how stupid he was and that my dog is NOT dog friendly. Now Cara IS dog friendly, she thinks every dog is her new best friend. Mina however has developed some serious same sex aggression issues and both of the dogs that charged us this morning? You guessed it, females. So had I taken Mina first this morning like I was going to I would have had a huge ass dog fight on my hands. :/

Oh and thank you Cara for intimidating the creepy guy who was following us around town. It's going to be a good day.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I *hate* when people allow stuff like that to happen. It sounds like his dogs are not friendly, and he shouldn't let them run around unsupervised. And the worst part is that he doesn't even seem to realize that his dogs are poorly behaved.

I constantly need to pick Belle up when I walk her on the trails in the park. Even though numerous signs say "Please Leash Your Dog" nobody ever does except me. And their huge dogs take one look at little Belle and just full-out sprint at her, and Belle gets terrified, and I would be insane to *not* pick her up. Even if their dogs aren't aggressive, they could easily hurt Belle by accident. Do the owners call their dogs back? Do they apologize? Of course not! I usually have to turn around and walk in the opposite direction, even if it means backtracking, because their uncontrolled dogs keep trying to jump on me to get at Belle, with the owner saying, "She just wants to play." Fun times!

If I had my parent's GSD along, those uncontrolled dogs would have been ripped apart the second they tried jumping on me or charging at Belle. And even though the law is to keep your dog leashed, I'm sure the lawsuit or whatever would find that we're the ones at fault!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Once I get a dog that I can't easily pick up, I'm going to start bringing pepper spray wherever I go. It'll hopefully protect me and my dogs from all those wonderful "She just wants to play!" owners.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts