Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently moved (again) and I work at home alone. My corgi mutt rescue was bummed. I was bummed. We both moped around the house while our family went about their new lives. As my birthday came about I started looking for a new pup to bring home to Max and me. Not to say that we couldn't entertain each other, but we came from a very active neighborhood with lots of dog friends. Now we were wishing for someone new.

After meeting several rescues I came across Tank. I drove 2 hrs out into wine country to meet this fella. I read plenty about ACDs and braced myself for a rambunctious, witty, smarter-than-me guy. When I first met with him foster mama I was shocked. She was a wonderful lady, but a pet hoarder. She must have had 15 dogs in her house and it wreaked of urine.

She brought out Tank and my daughter and I fell instantly in love. He was handsome, loving, and instantly loyal. Max, the corgi rescue, took to him nicely. After spending several hours swooning over this dude, we loaded him in the car and started our journey home. It was by far the most interesting car ride of my life. He panted heavily, paced back and forth, all the while with tape worm parts falling from his behind. Yeah, we weren't aware of this until it we were about 30 minutes into our drive.

We arrive home and he immediately starts marking out lovely home. My husband is not pleased. Tank, whom we decided to call Hank the Cattledog, began settlingly in to his new home by pacing and panting. I don't think he sat down a single second.

After an hour our family decided to go out to get him some supplies. I placed him in the garage, which he seemed pretty comfortable in and loaded up the car with kids. My husband didn't realize he was in the garage and opened the door. Hank darted out and was gone. My heart sunk. We drove around the neighborhood and spotted him several times. Each time he ran. Over the course of the hour Hank returned to our home only to run away as soon as he saw my husband. I placed a bowl of food in the door and left it open. He would come, sneak bites, and dash. After 3 hrs he returned for more food. I sat on the porch with my head hanging low, waiting for him. He crawled into my lap and I instantly fell for him.

I made him a promise that no matter how hard our journey became, no matter how lost I felt, he would always have a home with me. We are two months into our life together. It's been rough, it's been exciting, it's been educational, and I don't think I've every felt so much adoration for and from an animal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What a great story! I'm always terrified of my dogs escaping (lol). They have bolted out, but they never go very far. I always wonder whether they would be able to find their way back if they did wonder far.

Pics?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts