Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a technique for fading out the crate? there's a bunch of information for crate training, but not many for fading it. my puppy is getting too big for her crate, and i'd like to start fading it out. i bought a playpen but haven't used it yet... and i don't want to until i have a plan. any ideas? can anyone share some experiences? ideally, i'd like for her to start sleeping in her bed at night (next to my bed)... for starters. thanks, all!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I wouldn't eliminate the crate. It has utility throughout the dog's entire life. Get one that's big enough for the dog's adult size and use partitions if necessary. There are a thousand reasons you might want the dog confined to a crate. It's not just for housebreaking.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I wouldn't eliminate the crate. It has utility throughout the dog's entire life. Get one that's big enough for the dog's adult size and use partitions if necessary. There are a thousand reasons you might want the dog confined to a crate. It's not just for housebreaking.
Ditto!

Two of my dogs are nearly 8 yrs. old, have earned freedom of the house years ago, yet still use their crates (I just don't need to lock the gates).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i hear you and agree. however, i live in an apartment in NYC, and it's not exactly aesthetic to have a huge crate in the living room (i could use the space).

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
That's a cool solution for a small to medium dog. Another is the airline type crates. They come apart and the halves nest together to make a dog bed. Yet another solution is a collapsible wire crate. It can be stored unobtrusively, but easily snapped together (at least a few times per month) to keep the dog feeling comfortable with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts