Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their pet experience a stye? My dog has what I believe to be one on his upper eyelid. I'm thinking another vet visit is the best solution, but I would like some feedback on how I can go about helping with the irritation in the meantime? It seems to flare up and go away. Also, I'm not sure if this sounds foolish, but can dog food cause styes? as in, a reaction to any ingredient? I'm currently feeding Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul, it may be just a coincidence as well. Any responses would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit had something stye-like last week. We didn't take her to the vet because it was gone the next day, but if it doesn't go away I think you're right, go to the vet. We used teabags (just normal cheap ones) as hot compresses and it seemed to help.

The allergy thing occurred to me too. It wouldn't surprise me, but I don't know either way.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
What I once thought was a sty turned into this because it began to itch. So if it starts to itch and get larger it could be allergies. It is so hard to say .... I had to have prednisone to cure this one ...

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. I had never read about soothing it with teabags, so that is definitely helpful. I may switch his food to be on the safe side as he is just finishing this bag. Perhaps I'll learn more through a vet visit.

Abbylynn, poor thing! Did you find out the cause?

Beautiful pups you both have.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I had never read about soothing it with teabags, so that is definitely helpful. I may switch his food to be on the safe side as he is just finishing this bag. Perhaps I'll learn more through a vet visit.

Abbylynn, poor thing! Did you find out the cause?

Beautiful pups you both have.
Yes, Blu Boy had a food allergy. I switched him to TOTW grain -free and have had no further issues. I still think it also could be a flea allergy. It all happened at the same time. We will see once fleas are out again.

Your pup is absolutely adorable! :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Thanks! Yours is absolutely adorable!

For the teabags - just soak it in hot water for a few minutes beforehand. Your dog probably won't like having a hot teabag on his eye all that much, but Biscuit put up with it for a few minutes at a time.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Glad I saw this post! I just noticed this evening that Harper has a little bump on the middle of his lower eyelid. It almost looked like a little bit of eye goop, it's the same color as his lid. It's a little more teary than the other eye. It doesn't seem to be bothering him. I noticed the others said the bumps were on the upper eyelid. Could Harper's bump be a stye, too?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think styes can be either upper or lower because they're an inflammation of a hair follicle. Biscuit's was on her lower lid near the inside corner and it looked like a mild bite. I don't know if that was a stye or something else, but with the hot tea compresses it went away quickly on its own. If Harper's bump sticks around for more than a day or two, I would see the vet.

What is with these dogs and their weird eye bumps lately? Gosh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most dogs are allergic to chicken, though dog foods have flavorings, you should at least ask your vet. Ours eat beef flavored dog food, but now we've learned she is allergic to beef and chicken which is why she had the same wound on her body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts