Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but it seems like it's a great group of people with a lot of combined knowledge. I'm making this thread because I just adopted a husky lab X from the local shelter (my first big dog!), and he's having an eye problem. Both of his eyes are a bit pink, and one of them occasionally gets green, for lack of a more scientific term, "eyeboogers". This has been going on for about a week, and I just bought some eye solution from the pet store which seems to be working. My question is, is that I just took him to the vet for his booster shots, and while there, asked the vet about it. The vet recommended that I get a complete blood work up, and organ function panel. I thought this was a bit odd, given that he's eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom regularly, and is full of energy. He seems to be in no discomfort. He also had a complete wellness exam not 2 weeks ago and came out of it fine.

So I guess my question is, have any other people here had their dogs get some light green discharge from their eye occasionally, and what was it caused by? As well as, should I possibly seek another vets opinion?

(Just a side note, this is a larger clinic, and not a single vet practice. The vet that saw my dog had never seen him before. But my housemate had troubles bringing her cat there with a different vet, who failed to diagnose sneezing, lack of appetite, and lack of energy, as well as weight loss, as an upper respiratory infection.)

Thank you so much for any advice you can give!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Keep in mind I'm not a vet, but I have worked at a vet hospital. From what I'vee observed it sounds like your dog suffers from dry eyes. A vet can do a tear test to determine if your dogs eyes are producing enough fluids to keep them hydrated. Personaly I would get a second opinion, possibly a new vet if your not satisfied with your current one. If they recomend doing a blood test, or any test for that matter, they should be able to explain why.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There's no better advice than the one already given. A tear test would be ideal and another vet for a 2nd opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts