Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This describes me and my older dog. We are beyond stressed and we dont know what to do.
The situation is, our older dog is almost 3 JR mix, about 45 lbs, we have a black lab mix about 50lbs, 16 months old. The bl is a bully to our older dog. wont leave her alone, wont tell her to leave her alone, weve had the puppy since she was 8 weeks. I seperate them if it gets out of hand, I tell her leave it, which she does then I leave the room and shes right back at her.
My older dog hides under my desk, wimpers b.c the lab corners her and nips and bites at her legs. I give the lab Kongs, and other things to chew on ,which gives us a moment of piece but she goes through them pretty quickly. I take her for walks, we do training sessions, she behaves, its the moment we stop she is a terror. I put her in the kitchen when she misbehaves. she lives in the kitchen now. I get migrains on a daily basis because of her, I hate the pain my other dog has to go through.
My other dog also will not let other dogs go near her outside the house, she freaks out now and lunges at them. So we can not bring her anywhere there are other animals.

what eles am I supposed to do. Ive been trying to train her leave it (other dog being the leave it) which is obviously just not working. we are moving in 2 months across country. How am I supposed to drive across country with 2 dogs that cant stand each other in a minivan?
what am I missing.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
First of all, the young dog needs to be crate trained. When you are not there to supervise, BL needs to be in the crate. Think of this the same way you would if you had a dog and a cat. You would never leave the dog and cat loose and unsupervised, you would crate the dog or confine the dog or separate them somehow. Prevention of the undesirable behavior is 9/10ths of the cure.

Both dogs could/should be crate trained. There is a book to help with this available from www.dogwise.com called "Crate Games." I suggest you get it and crate train BOTH dogs.

The older dog also needs a place he can go that the BL cannot go.

Meanwhile, the BL sounds like he could use a LOT of NILIF (nothing in life is free) work. He also needs to understand that when you indicate "leave it" you mean leave it forever. There is a stickie on this forum for Doggie Zen. I suggest you do that and teach leave it with food and then work up to leaving other things.

If you can, work with each dog separately for awhile (training, walks etc.).

When you move across country, crate both dogs in the van. That is safer for the dogs and will give you some sanity. Crates are a good thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish i could crate them in the van but I can not as I have 3 kids also.
She also tries to bite me if I touch her. Lately (as in the past week) snaps at me if I touch her , like pat her or pat her back. Shes never made contact but Im sure its coming. This makes me very very sad, as im the only one she does this to. im the one who takes her for walks everyday, im the one who give her food, im the one who trains her every day. Why is it me shes aggressive towards, besides the older dog.

I did crate her until a few months ago. Now I just put up the gate between them if we are out .

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Tell me if I'm wrong here......You "walk her everyday"....how far? She needs 12-15 miles of exercise. That doesn't all have to be physical exercise, mental exercise is just as tiring.
It sounds like you're reactive to her pestering the older dog with "leave it"...instead of being proactive....intercepting BEFORE things happen.....showing her that the JR is NOT hers to pester.
If the bites are new within the last week, that's a huge red flag. Time for a vet visit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive been trying to tell her leave it before she "gets" our older dog. I usually get to her 8 out of 10 times.
Does everyone walk their dogs 12-15 miles a day? Im not trying to be snarky, but our walks usually end up being a hour a day. Generally 1 in the morning 1 in the night. I try to train in the morning and after dinner. The kids do some training too, playing outside. what eles am I supposed to do?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You're not being snarky. The 12-15 miles a day is just the standard recommendation for high energy breeds like your lab. It's not always possible for any of us to do that on a consistent basis.
By intercepting, I mean physically putting yourself between the dogs....make her back away from the JR (now use your Leave It command)....that tells you that she got the message....the JR is yours...not hers. You've staked your claim.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
By intercepting, I mean physically putting yourself between the dogs....make her back away from the JR (now use your Leave It command)....that tells you that she got the message....the JR is yours...not hers. You've staked your claim.
Excellent, and it works! My formerly dog/cat-aggressive dog understood me perfectly, and never went after Maddy or the cats. It's been over 6 years since he came to live with us, and not once has he gone after any of my cats and dogs, nor any that I foster.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
The 12-15 miles is not necessarily all physical miles. You can put 5 miles on a dog with 20 minutes of very intense clicker work using 5 minute intervals with 3 minute breaks. At least you can on my Shepherd.

I also walk her a mile in the AM and another 3-4 in the pm plus training... so it is a lot of time.. plus working FT and commute and all the rest.

Hats off to you (any of you) who can keep two high energy dogs happy along with 3 kids happy. I could never figure out how to do it. I give you a lot of credit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts