Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 hours ago, I bathed one of my dogs, Beau, gave him his wormer tablet and put his flea stuff on him. Then, about 30 minutes ago he started walking around, dizzy, couldn't stand up straight and then he fell over. He started throwing up and pooping right where he was laying. He was like that for about 5-10 minutes, and then he died.

I used Hartz ultraguard tablets for large dogs (gave him 1 and a half), and Pet Armor plus. He's had both of these products before, though not at the same time. I did the same thing with my other dog right before and he's fine.

Beau had been acting fine all day, even right up to where he started getting dizzy. He was just sitting in front of me begging for food since I was eating supper.

What would cause this? The ONLY different thing I did between the two dogs, was that I gave Beau his tablet with some summer sausage, and Boot got his with a slice of cheese. He has ate summer sausage plenty of times, but maybe there was something in it that reacted with the medicine?

I really hope it wasn't my fault...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was a mix, but I'm not really sure of what.
Here is a picture. He had a brother who looked like a lab, but bulkier and a solid white one who looked a bit like an American bulldog.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So sorry for your loss! I've always heard to stay away from Hartz products because they can have bad reactions similar to this. I would ask your vet about finding a safer product for your other dog. It also could be a reaction to the Ivermectin in the heartworm pill, which certain breeds need to stay away from. But your dog doesn't look like any of the breeds that carry the gene that causes problems with Ivermectin.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Wow he was a beautiful dog, very sorry for your loss. Some collie type breeds have issues with high doses of some medications and can die. He doesn't look like he has any collie in him, it's possible tho.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
As far as I can tell from a quick Google search, the Hartz Ultraguard tablets are just pyrantel, which is an extremely safe dewormer and doesn't appear to contain any heartworm medications anyway. And PetArmor Plus isn't the Hartz spot-on. Honestly I'd be inclined to doubt the tablet or the spot on had anything to do with your dog's death, although the list of things that would cause sudden death are fairly short. How old was he?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.

sassafras, he was about 2 and half years old. I've been searching and haven't found anything similar online...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Is it possible he got into something poison outside? He was a handsome dog and I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've thought of that. I'm not sure what it could have been, we live in the county with no neighbors around. I know we don't have snail bait in the yard, and there isn't any antifreeze lying around, and there isn't any leaking that I know of. I'll probably walk around the yard tomorrow and see if I can find anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I'm so sorry. Grief is natural, but there's no reason to feel guilty. It is probably nothing that you did. Dogs can have strokes and heart problems just like people, and pass before we think is fair. Again, I'm sorry for your loss...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts