Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 12 wk old Goldendoodle to vet for checkup today. He received 3rd round of DHLPP vaccination. And first round of Bordetella vaccine. Came home about lunchtime... He acted normal til about 5:30pm and became extremely sleepy and lethargic. Whines and yelps when he is picked up although we are not touching injection site. Almost as if he has muscle aches.. Like the flu. Called the Emergi-vet hotline and they said more than likely was the Bordetella vaccine (aka flu like symptoms) and if not better by tomoro call the vet. He didn't have any reaction from previous 2 rounds of DHLPP so am agreeing that it may be Bordetella. He's asleep in his crate and I know I will worry about him all during the night. I'm very concerned because he was acting like he had been drugged. Anyone else have similar experience? Advice? A little reassurance? I've raised two children and I feel like a first time mom of a newborn again

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Is your dog required to have the Bordetella vaccine for some reason? If not, it's fine to go without that one in the future. My vets (and many others) prefer not to give it unless a dog is being boarded somewhere that requires it, or is attending a dog daycare that requires it. Kennel cough is not life-threatening (except in extremely rare cases), almost all dogs recover without medication, and the vaccine doesn't always prevent against kennel cough anyway.

Can you put his crate near your bed so you can check on him in the night?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to let my vet know about his reaction to the Bordetella (if that indeed is the cause) and will discuss the need for future vaccinations.

His crate is in my bedroom.... One problem though is that he is a black goldendoodle...so it's hard to see him during the day when he is in his crate and impossible in a dark bedroom at night. Will probably have to turn on the light or use a flashlight. I just don't to wake him by doing that if he is getting the rest he needs but I may have no choice. Hopefully I will be able to hear him adjust his position in the crate or hear him yawn/breathing (like I can normally hear sometimes at night)

Thanks for responding.... Am really hoping to hear from someone who can say they've had a pet react the same way....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
How is he doing today? Sure hope he is ok! I always, always space any vaccinations 4 weeks apart. I never double up anything anymore. Even with doing that my Belle (middle pic) ended up with an immune disease after her third puppy shot. Thankfully she recovered but it was scary and not something I want to go through again. Some dogs are just more reactive to vaccines than others. I have never gotten any of my dogs the kennel cough vaccine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts