Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month, almost 5 month old Australian Terrier is just non-tiring sometimes. Is this normal? I give him TONS of excercise, it's almost unbelievable. Yet, he can't take a break. I sit down at my computer. And he wont rest. He'll chew up something in my room. If I lock him out, he starts whimpering like mad. Is there a way to fix this? HELP

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Sounds normal for a terrier, LOL. But what does he eat? I've seen some dogs go hyper from eating a food with sugar in it (kibbles 'n' bits and similar semi-moist foods are very high in sugar). Mental exercise helps, too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! BTW, do you know any links on how to do Mental Exercise or anything like that? Thanks!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Oh, some clicker training will give him something to think about: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/167

But most of the time I just play games with my dogs that require some thought. Like making them "stay", then hiding their favorite toy so they have to sniff it out. Things like that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The other thing I would suggest (relating to food) is to make sure it's not that he has an upset stomach.

My dog is VERY active as well, but I found that part of her "hyperactivity" was actually because the food she was on at the time was too rich, and was causing her to have stomachaches. Once I realized that she wasn't actually hyper but restless and agitated because of a tummy ache, I switched her food and the difference was like night & day.

If you notice he's gassy and/or has loose or pudding-like stools with any sort of frequency, this might be something to try. If not, then he's probably just super active and I second the training. You can also find toys that are like puzzles, where the dog needs to figure out how to get the food out - keeps 'em busy for awhile.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Could be totally normal for a puppy that age. What do you mean by "tons" of exercise? Maybe he needs more? For our dog, 4-5 hours a day wasn't enough so we took her to doggie daycare a few days a week. Still, she would come home after 8 hours of running around at daycare and still want to go for an hour walk on the beach or around the neighborhood to see friends. She would sleep a couple of hours after that and then 11:00 pm was play time again. She was at it again at 5-6 in the morning. Like with a baby, we learned to nap when she napped and accepted that we weren't going to get much more than 4-5 hours of sleep a night. It passes. :)

The chewing will pass, too, but you need to redirect him with things you encourage him to chew on/play with like stuffed kongs or a buster cube - any toy that's designed to hold treats or kibble that he likes will keep him occupied and hopefully away from your stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts