Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
For fearful dogs - no punishment. No scolding, yelling, spraying, penny cans, hitting, etc. Think about it... Would a negative experience make him like people more, or less? Answer is less. And a dog who likes people less and less is more likely to do more damage when they do react.

Catch poles are traumatizing for dogs. I would find it unbelievable, borderline abusive, for daycare staff to use a catch pole multiple times a day on a 10# dog. If your dog struggles at all, it has a lot of potential to seriously hurt him. Any daycare that agrees to this handling, even if recommended by the owner, is a facility I would never leave my dog at. There are so many better, safer, kinder, and easier ways to handle aggressive dogs in boarding situations and if they just shrug their shoulders and jump to catch pole, that suggests to me that daycare staff have zero experience with body language or safety.

Instead, if he needs to be boarded and moved from place to place by stranger, I would recommend having him drag a leash attached to a harness at all times. And make sure the kennel set up has nowhere for him to tangle. This way, staff can just pick up the end of his leash and lead him from place to place. If he plants himself and won't even move with a stranger, I recommend putting potty pads in the kennel and telling staff they don't need to handle him at all, and to just change out his pads, food and water every day. And goes without saying... If he doesn't need to be boarded, don't board him.

If your dog is food motivated, treats can help. But treats need to be used in a thoughtful way, with a solid understanding of thresholds, and ALWAYS letting the dog determine the pace and distance for the training. Find a trainer that focuses on positive reinforcement to help you. "CPDT" is a good certification to look for when you are searching for trainers and the CCPDT website has a search option to find certified trainers in your area.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Anecdotes....

I work in a shelter where we regularly work with fearful dogs with bite histories. Our shelter is awesome but unfortunately we do need to move dogs from their indoor spaces to outdoor runs (we do not have a connected outdoor space for the dogs). We do have a catch pole. In the years that I've worked there, we have NEVER had to use it. This is regular shelter staff, able to move dogs around our building. Dogs who have drawn blood on people. Not only do we successfully do it, but we successfully help these dogs become less fearful over time. We use treats, barriers, toys, leashes, even other dogs... To move our fearful friends in gentle and effective ways.

I have a training client with a fearful and reactive dog. Unfortunately, the dog now has a bite history... A friend of the client has in the past tried to 'train' the dog by stomping towards him and yelling at him. This surely scared the dog so much that the dog would stop barking (which made the person think the methods were working). But it also was teaching the dog 'this person is really scary'. But one day the friend came into the house unannounced and the dog bit and punctured his leg. I can almost guarantee that if the friend had not scared this dog and created negative associations, he would have just been rushed and barked at instead of bitten. And this has never happened with other people who the dog has reacted to.

So many more. But I cannot stress the importance of finding a good trainer to work with you on this. Your dog is just scared. There are proven methods that are kind and will help him.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
If he is comfortable with being led around using a slip lead (assuming that is what the loop leash is), then that is infinitely better than having to handle him or use a catch pole. Emphasis on "comfortable" because it tightens and can choke a dog if the dog is fighting it. I agree with the staff that it's not safe to leave a slip lead (or anything attaching to a dog's neck) on unattended. If he is very treat motivated then luring with a treat is also a great way to move him around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts