Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came home tonight to diarrhea all over my bedroom wall and in Brady's crate. Plus, a small pile of puked up food on the corner.

I have given Brady a SMALL amount of Peanut Butter the last 2 days, and I am wondering if this is the cause again. Perhaps he is over sensitive to it?

He doesn't seem really sick, but he does seem a little slower than usual... but I'm thinking this might be because he couldn't sleep today since he was busy avoiding the poo all over the place?

I just don't know. He willingly went on a walk and wanted to play with other dogs when he saw them... he willingly went on a little run... he wanted some treats... but he is NOT off the wall like he was, say, yesterday.

He has no problem with me pressing on his tummy..no pain.

Do I wait til tomorrow morning to see if he improves, or rush to a vet tonight?

ETA: called my vet and they were zero help. basically were like "It's up to you."

Brady is definitely more lethargic than normal...but I think I'm going to wait and see how he is in a couple hours/the morning...idk

UGH

·
Banned
693 Posts
I'd say wait until tomorrow. Monitor him, check his gums and temperature, make sure he isn't pacing and he is drinking enough water. Make sure he gets outside more than normal so he can go again if needed. He probably feels yucky and stood up all day because, as you guessed, he wanted to avoid the poo. Just let him rest in a comfortable spot.

Does he have an appetite? Something (maybe the peanut butter) probably just disrupted his digestive system slightly. Nothing to see a vet about yet. Just make sure to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't start showing other symptoms of illness. And keep us updated :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
He still wanted treats (not offering food cus we're gonna skip dinner and do a bland diet starting tomorrow).
He still drank water
Checked his tummy - not hard/swollen...not painful
He went on a walk just like normal
No pacing/signs of pain. He's just following me like normal and then laying down/falling asleep easily.

IDK how to check temp though.

someone please tell me how the POO got in my HAIR!

I should add - there is the possibility that he ate some cardboard a couple of days ago. He tore up Buzzy's cardboard scratching post.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
You're on the right track. Give him bland diet and wait a bit. Every single time, (and there have been LOTS of those times), I was in your shoes and wondering wether or not to go to the vet, it cleared up on its own.

ETA theres not always a reason for this either. Sometimes it's just an upset stomach. They get them just like we do.

At least we use the toilet though ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
If the peanut butter and the ill-symptoms have come together before, I'd imagine that might be what it is.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
No help for the situation, but thoughts for the cause...
1. Was it a different type of peanut butter than normal, with extra oil or a different type of oil ?
2. Rather than p-nut butter, could he have gotten a kitty snack from the litter box ?
3. Or even from the cat food ... cat food is very high protein. I don't think it hurts a dog, it's just too rich for his system which tries to expel it....

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I wouldn't worry about eating a small amount of cardboard, large amount might be cause for concern. If he's gotten sick twice after eating peanut butter might try cutting out the peanut butter.

Keep an eye on him but he should be just fine, no food tonight and bland diet tomorrow. Vet if he vomits more, diarrhea might take a day or two to clear up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like an allergic reaction. Clean the system out with some yogurt and stay away from the peanut butter. It can take awhile for this to clear out but he is not better by tomorrow...see your vet!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peanut allergy in dogs is actually really rare...and manifests usually as itching or skin issues.

I'm more inclined to believe he is sensitive to fats. I threw the peanut butter out. That HAS to be the culprit. His poo was totally normal til he started having it in small quantities.

The litter box I have is gated off so only the cat can get to it PLUS it is a litter robot, which auto cleans VERY well every time the cat uses it. So I'm not worried about that.

Left him for a few hours tonight and came home...he's totally normal again and no more accidents. I def. think it was the pb. Officially no more PB for the bradybutt.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'd wait...I know if I have a day when I have diarrhea and/or vomitting, I feel sort of lethargic..
shoot! I wouldnt even be out of bed LOL... dogs are soooo much tougher then we are. I wish I could have that kind of positive, smiling, zippy-do-da outlook on life after I have had cannon-butt :/... or even after I didnt eat enough in the morning (I dont like my dogs to do it... but Im like the world most terrible eater, I hardly have an appitite... ever) before I take my Vites & toss my cookies. I have seen Jo toss hers & not even 5 min later shes back to her bouncy, cutsey self... while I am laying on the couch feeling sorry for myself for an hour after LMBO.

all joking aside, I hope Brady gets on the mend soon, poor lil buddy :(

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brady is back to normal this morning. He's in daycare since he gets neutered tomorrow and I'm trying to wear him out. Plus, I figure (once again) it's better he be where someone can see him today. I'm watching him on the webcam and he's playing like his typical self. He WOOFED down his boiled chicken and rice this morning. Hungry doggie.

My apartment no longer smells like poo.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Contradictory info alert: It may not be PB in general. It may have just been the extra oil or fat in that specific brand. The reason that I emphasize is because you may want to explore other brands, later... maybe starting with the more expensive stuff for dogs, then working back to PB with less oil.

The other reason that I bring this up is when Brady gets into something else with high fat, and he gets sick again, then you might have an idea what caused the .... explosion :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Contradictory info alert: It may not be PB in general. It may have just been the extra oil or fat in that specific brand. The reason that I emphasize is because you may want to explore other brands, later... maybe starting with the more expensive stuff for dogs, then working back to PB with less oil.

The other reason that I bring this up is when Brady gets into something else with high fat, and he gets sick again, then you might have an idea what caused the .... explosion :)
Hmmm...cheese doesn't upset his tummy...But cheese doesn't have extra oil either.
I've thought of going to whole foods and grinding fresh PB for him, but honestly...it's so much easier to avoid it...
I think I'll just keep like...boiled chicken on hand to stuff a kong with.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Cherokee had a long bout of diarrhea and stomach upset until we figured out he was eating thistle seed off the ground from under a bird feeder. The seeds are very high in oil content. He also had trouble when I gave him raw ribs with the meat on. Again, more rich than he was used to. Lucky for him, a small amount of peanut butter isn't an issue because he is now licking a jar clean :) When people say they stuff a kong with peanut butter i wonder if it is really stuffed full. We just do one scoop with a knife and spread it onto the inside. I would be afraid of giving him too much.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cherokee had a long bout of diarrhea and stomach upset until we figured out he was eating thistle seed off the ground from under a bird feeder. The seeds are very high in oil content. He also had trouble when I gave him raw ribs with the meat on. Again, more rich than he was used to. Lucky for him, a small amount of peanut butter isn't an issue because he is now licking a jar clean :) When people say they stuff a kong with peanut butter i wonder if it is really stuffed full. We just do one scoop with a knife and spread it onto the inside. I would be afraid of giving him too much.
I only gave him 1 spoonful...but for 2 days in a row. I think that was too much. BOOM! lol.

He does not have the lab "tummy of steel."

He's always been like this though. Changes in food always give him poo problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts