Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had both my dogs on Pro Plan for quite a while and they both seemed to be doing just fine. Tee, my borderX was gaining a little too much weight - partially due to an injury and forced inactivity - so I cut him back. Tee also has a sensitivity to anything with chicken, but the lamb and rice formula seemed to working just fine. Both dogs had good poops and nice coats.

I've always thought that "if it's not broken - don't fix it" and even tho Pro Plan is a mediocre dog food, I just thought since they were doing ok to just leave it alone.

A recent discovery on the grossness of Pro Plan convinced me to switch to a better quality dog food. I ordered some Taste of the Wild - Sierra Mountain and started a gradual switch Monday.

I mixed the new with the old and both dogs just picked out the TOTW and left the Pro Plan behind. Tuesday morning, I mixed a little yogurt in their food to try to coat it all, thinking maybe the TOTW just tastes better or something - and still they picked out all the TOTW and left the Pro Plan in their bowls.

Yesterday morning I fed breakfast with a mixture of both dog foods and again - just the TOTW was eaten. About mid morning, Tee started acting funny and next thing I knew he had run into the bathroom and had a massive explosion of diarrhea all over the bathroom floor mats. I was impressed that he made it that far and that he went in the one area of the house that was easy to clean up. But I was also kinda freaked out that so much crap could come out of a smaller dog (he weighs right at 34 pounds.) He had normal poops on Monday and Tuesday. Dug, my golden doesn't appear to be having any problems.

Tee doesn't act sick, and even after his explosion in the bathroom, he went and got his ball and was begging to go out and play. After a couple rounds of fetch he went and happily dug several "Tee size" holes out in the tree strip so I thinks its safe to say that he is not sick but that the new food may be a little too rich for him.

My question is: Do I just let this fix itself the next few days or put him back on the Pro Plan?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Something to keep in mind--he may be getting too much of the TOTW. They are going to need less of it, most likely, than they would of the Pro Plan because it doesn't have the fillers.

Also, they could possibly go through a detox of getting all of the "junk" out of their system and that also may be what you are seeing.

If he was mine, I would try to cut him back a little and see if it resolves itself in a bit. If not, it is possible it may be too rich for him--but hopefully he'll adjust just fine given a little time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I agree with goldens, you have to be careful when switching from a food with fillers to a high quality food in that you feed much less of the higher quality food (and the feeding instructions are always way too high).

I think it's just that they went straight from Pro Plan to TOTW, though that wasn't your fault. I'd feed the poor explosive puppy some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling kind) to help with diarrhea and see if it works itself out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tee, my border X, is still having some loose stools. Although they are not close to the "explosive" ones from the other day. There is still A LOT coming out, so I feel bad because it seems that he's getting a complete colon cleansing.... I'm feeding him about a handfull mixed in with his old dog food twice a day and am going to continue to gradually move him completely over to TOTW. He is still very lively and wants to play so it doesn't appear to be making him sick.

Dug, my golden, shows no problems with the switch and currently he is getting almost a cup of TOTW with just about a handfull of the old stuff. His poops look great!

Had to post because this is the only place I can talk "dog poop." Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yes this forum is great! Talk about dog poo is the norm. Sounds like the switch just upset his sensitive GI system. Your golden has more of a rock gut. I agree with Amaryllis says about the canned pumpkin. Some probiotic wont hurt either during your switch. Just a side note. Go to TOTW for a chance to win some free food. The ad states a chance to win an 18 pound bag for free.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update: Tee has finally had "good poops" for 2 days now. whoohoo!

I'm still feeding both dogs a mix with the Pro Plan but very slowly increasing the TOTW and decreasing the other. I still have some Pro Plan left so I'm going to finish up the mix until its gone, and hopefully by then all "poops" will be good!

I'm also feeding a spoonful of pumpkin with their breakfast and some yogurt in the evening. I've also cut back on treats while we are switching just to make sure everything works itself out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
An update: Tee has finally had "good poops" for 2 days now. whoohoo!

I'm still feeding both dogs a mix with the Pro Plan but very slowly increasing the TOTW and decreasing the other. I still have some Pro Plan left so I'm going to finish up the mix until its gone, and hopefully by then all "poops" will be good!

I'm also feeding a spoonful of pumpkin with their breakfast and some yogurt in the evening. I've also cut back on treats while we are switching just to make sure everything works itself out.
That's great news! Keep us posted! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts