Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old doberman has been fixed since he was about 6 months old! Yet he still tries to do "the duty" with females. Would they not have the urge any longer since thigns were taken away from him? I mean seriously. My hubby tells him when he tries that he is shooting blank bullets bud!!!!

My new female rottie puppy isn't fixed yet, but not in heat! Why would he be trying all the time?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
They do this for many reasons...out of excitment, dominance, habit, to practice that natural life skill of sex.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
as long as he isn't tieing your female there really isn't anything wrong with it, except for it being embarassing to the owner.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy explanation here

Because you haven't trained him not to
well I can train a dog to do anything else but this! When I catch him I tell him "no" and when he listens he gets praised. He didn't start doing this till about a year ago! I am thinking it is more of a dominance thing. He started when my female rottie was declining and she was the top dog...although they both see me as the alpha dog (if that makes sense).
sooo....how do I stop this behavior?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
My Mastiff used to always mount my Lab. With him, I'd just tell him "Off" and then I'd redirect him to something else. He doesn't even really try to mount my Lab anymore. If they were dogs of similar size, I would have just let them work it out between themselves and intervene if needed but with my Mastiff's weight advantage over my Lab, I worried about possible injury. I was lucky that it wasn't really ever a huge problem so it was pretty easy for me to fix.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I would redirect the dog with a favorite toy or treats. If it helps you might keep a tab lead on him to gently pull him away while he is learning. Make doing something else even more fun than humping. Keep in mind that telling him NO doesn't tell him what TO do and may actually make him more anxious (which can lead to more humping).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts