Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to refain from posting this... but I don't want to do the wrong thing so I must!

When crate training can someone explain to me how long the puppy is spending in the crate and outside of it?? I feel as though the puppy is in the crate a lot longer than I would want it to be. While I do want my dog to love his crate and be comfortable in his crate for the times I need him in there I also want to enjoy him as much as I can.

Let me just say I don't have the puppy yet, I just want to be well educated when he gets here!

I also know about tethering which I plan on doing. This is what I was thinking... Tethering while I am cooking and moving about the house. Crating while we eat dinner, while I read a book etc (to give me and the dog some "me time") and sleeping at night as much as I hate that because I want him to sleep with me!!! Also obvioulsy crating while in the shower, cleaning etc. So the dog doesn't only associate the crate with me leaving. Feeding in the crate and letting him nap in the crate. Obviously I'd take him out to play and go for walks but should he really be spending hours in the crate? It just seems... Wrong.

Also, I plan on using an X-pen when I go to class/work or run errands instead of the crate all the time, just to give him more space to play. Is this going to harm crate trainging?

Sorry about all the questions! I just want to do things as right as I possibly can!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You can modify it to anything you are comfortable with.

I like crate training for when I can't watch the pup and so I can cart the puppy around to other people's homes and take the pup to dog class when I am working another dog. If you want the pup to sleep with you, let him sleep with you. Modify it so it works for you and your pup, I just think it's really handy that a dog CAN be crated comfortably because it makes the dog so portable and it's a GREAT skill in an emergeny or if your dog needs vetting.

I don't like X-pens when I can't supervise. They are topless and flimsy. They are fine if you are watching and redirecting the pup if he tries to climb it or jump it, but if you aren't home, they are likely to teach your pup how to escape confinement. This is a skill he may then use on his crate or kennel...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have to rethink that but the X-pen is the only thing I can use to confine him in the only area of my house that isn't carpeted. I will have to see him in there and see what he does. Maybe I can leave him in for a half hour and run errands just to see if he gets out of not... Otherwise I better just get used to the idea that my carpet won't be so white. I could use the bathroom though. And he'll be litter box trained when he comes home so maybe I can leave the box in the bathroom and use a baby gate to block him out of the living room so he also has the hallway. What about an upside down playpen or an xpen that has a top?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Why wouldn't you leave him in his crate when you aren't home? That's what I would do.

The thing is, if he get out once or twice, he will then probably ALWAYS try to get out. The best thing to do is prevent it the first time. If you are home and he gets out, you can put him right back in, so nothing was gained by jumping. If you aren't home, jumping out gives him the keys to the kingdom! And he can eat something dangerous. He can also get a leg hung up in the pen. I wouldn't even leave an unsupervised dog in a pen.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the first few months I will be home with him all the time but I work 9-5 3 days a week so I feel like keeping him in a crate for 8 hours is way to long. I'll just work diligently on potty training him and hopefully he'll be okay! Thanks! I don't want him to be an escape artist so you're right about just leaving him in his crate until he is trained!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
When I got my pup, she was litter trained. I was going to have to leave her for 4 hours a day starting when she was 11 weeks. What I did was get a HUGE crate large enough for a dane, and I made half of it a nice bed and a portion of it a litterbox. She NEVER used the litterbox! Not one time. So I got rid of it. She still has the huge crate through. She has an x-pen that we use sometimes. She hates it. Loves her crate, hates her pen. No idea why!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts