Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently trying to adopt a Boston Terrier from a rescue group that I found on Petfinder.com. My question is are these groups found on petfinder trustworthy? I have spoke with the foster mom and the owner of the rescue group called "Friends of Homeless animals Inc". out of Providence Rhode Island specializing in Bostons. The only hassle is waiting for them to review my application and do a home visit. The puppy is 2 months old and will require a small surgery to remove a growth or callus on his eyelid which according to them can not be done yet because he is too young, next month they also state he will be fine after. So I would have to wait over a month for him. Does this sound trustworthy or should I cancel? Have no experience with adoption always purchased from breeders. thanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
That sounds legit. It all depends on the individual rescue group. But I would not give up on the pup because he needs a minor surgery (if it is) and you have to wait. Good luck and we will need pictures!

·
Registered
198 Posts
petfinder is like google they don't really police the posters that much. so i would only be concerned with the rescue.

you can ask for some examples of "happy homes" that will allow you to contact them (animals they've placed) or call the veterinarian they work with to ask about the organization. that's what i would do if i were in your shoes.

if it works out i want puppy pictures :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
The things that concern you (application, home visit, surgery, etc) are exactly the reasons to trust a rescue org. They put the animal's welfare first, whereas BYBs and others just want to sell the dog.

I'm not familiar with that particular rescue but what they are doing sounds very legit.

·
Banned
572 Posts
You defintiely need to screen these Petfinder groups as thrououghly as you would a breeder. There is no lemon law for buying a dog from a rescue who is sick or has a bad temperament, so make sure you are 100% comfortable with the group beforehand. Petfinder seems to attract a fair share of quacks, so be careful! I know people who will check out groups by asking for testimonials, the good & bad, on their local Craigslist.
Also, you'll want to ask them about temperament testing, and if possible, can you spend some time with the dog alone on the rescue grounds or take him for a trial period of a few days? Sometimes a mild dog in a shelter becomes a WILD dog at home, and vice versa, the wild ones may just be stressed and will become calmer when out of that environment ...
Don't trust ANY group because they say they are a rescue. Scrutinize them as well as they should be scrutinizing you :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nothing sounds shady about this to me at all. Background checks are normal for reputable rescue groups.

Bostson's are worth the wait!! Let him get well and give him the home of his dreams!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. Problem is the boston is more than a few states away so spending time with him is impossible. The rescue group has testimonials and pics of owners with their adopted dogs but you never know. I guess they contacted a reference of mine on the application I filled out so that made me feel a bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I recently adopted a dog I found on Petfinder. I don't believe Petfinder monitors the shelters that have listings on there at all... so it is up to the adopter to do their research.

The facility I adopted from had an application to fill out, but they didn't check any of my references (I was approved within 10 minutes of sending it in). They didn't give the dog to the most qualified home. (It was "first come, first served" to approved applicants. It was a bit chaotic!) The spay job done on my pup was a bit of a hack job (not the shelter's fault, really, but rather the vet who did it). The incision was jagged and my vet said they'd never seen such odd suture material (course/thick thread). I specifically asked the shelter about spay surgery aftercare, and they said, "Oh, you don't really have to do anything. There are no stitches, just glue. Just don't let her play in the snow too much." It only took one look to see that there WERE stitches. They were huge and a dark brown color that showed up very well against her pink belly.

They also vaccinated like the dog was an adult (one shot, with a note saying it was due annually), and when I got to my vet, they said puppies need parvo/distemper every three weeks until they are 16 weeks old. Luna's only ever had one, so it's off to the vet on Tuesday for a booster.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I found Buck on Petfinder. He was at a rescue half way across the country. I contacted the rescue to make sure he was still available and he was. I filled out the application and they checked it out thoroughly. Vet references, personal references, they were all called. The only thing that was not done was a home visit. We did talk frequently though and the woman told me later that was her long distance version of home visit.

Buck was vetted, neutered (and healed) and given his vaccinations before I got him.

Buck's been with me for 2 years now and as it happens, today's the day I picked for his birthday since it was February when I adopted him and his real birth date is unknown.

Don't know if I just got lucky dealing with a rescue so far away or what, but it was the best thing I ever did. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts