Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently found out I actually really like Curly coated retrievers.

At least, I like their appearance (am strangely drawn to curls) and body type, and from what I read about their temperament they simply sound awesome.

But I've never met one in real life or seen them at shows (and I've been to 9 big shows)

Does anyone here know Curly coated retrievers? Met one? What kind of dogs are they?

I'm especially interested in their energy level because different sites give different information; like one site calls them energetic and the other calls them calm dogs. So which is it?

I'm also interested in whatever other information about their character you may have. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Hmmm just in passing at the big dog walk in SF (you see pretty much everything)- it didnt seem one way of the other to me, sorry... but I did like the feel of its distinctive curls though...

·
Registered
608 Posts
When I worked at the animal hospital there was a pair of curly coats that were regular boarders. I would have taken them home in a heart beat!

So so so so soooooo sweet. Definitely more reserved than pther retrievers I've met like labs, goldens, and chessies. But also more calm (though they were 3 and 4 years old so I'm not sure how they are as puppies).

If we ever go outside of the herding group again, they'd be a breed that I'd consider.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Other people I've talked to about them said they can be a bit stubborn and difficult, at least compared to other retrievers. I've also heard "not for everyone" due to the difficulty. I'm not sure how accurate this is as it's people that know someone who has one.. etc.

I've met two. One was about a year, still very young. Friendly, but not overly friendly. The curls feel very coarse and they shed just as much as a lab. The other was extremely goofy and friendly.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So so so so soooooo sweet. Definitely more reserved than pther retrievers I've met like labs, goldens, and chessies. But also more calm (though they were 3 and 4 years old so I'm not sure how they are as puppies).
This is what also appealed to me, from what I've read they're supposed to be more aloof and reserved, but no less sweet. I like friendly dogs, but absolutely not the over exuberant kind. I like a little reserved and dignified.

Thanks for the response so far, all! Hope more people will chime in. :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other people I've talked to about them said they can be a bit stubborn and difficult, at least compared to other retrievers. I've also heard "not for everyone" due to the difficulty. I'm not sure how accurate this is as it's people that know someone who has one.. etc.

I've met two. One was about a year, still very young. Friendly, but not overly friendly. The curls feel very coarse and they shed just as much as a lab. The other was extremely goofy and friendly.
I'm thinking I really want to meet one in real life. But they're the rarest of the retrievers and I've never even seen one walking around. There are only 7 breeders in my country and not one of them near me, which is a bummer.

I wonder just how stubborn Curlies are.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I'm thinking I really want to meet one in real life. But they're the rarest of the retrievers and I've never even seen one walking around. There are only 7 breeders in my country and not one of them near me, which is a bummer.
Sounds like a road trip to me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts