Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Expecting.... and dogs. :3

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Pai 
#1 ·
Soooo my boyfriend and I are expecting our first child :) I'm about 8 weeks along. yay only problem is I'm gonna be in big trouble with my breeder (I had to sign an agreement that I was not planning on having children for 3 years of getting my chessie) so I figured if I had a plan and read up on desensitiving dogs to children, how to deal with dogs around newborns she might make an exception. :) Our wedding date wasn't for another two years but we've got the house and although we're not financially stable we'll make it work. :)

My chessie is a year, he's a well behaved dog and he has been around younger children, 2 and 4, but I don't really know anyone else with children who I could bring him around.

#2 ·
I had to sign an agreement that I was not planning on having children for 3 years of getting my chessie
I'm pretty new to the dog world and definitely have zero experience with dog breeders. I'm curious: is this common? If so, why?

One thing that might help is taking him near a school or a park where children are. Keep him on leash of course, and keep a fair distance away to help him get used to the sounds and movements of children.

As for getting him used to a baby, get a doll and treat it like a baby. Hold it, change diapers, etc. Play baby sounds like crying--at a low volume and for brief periods, then build the volume and length in small doses. The good news is you have a lot of time to help him get used to having a baby around.

#3 ·
the chesapeake bay retriever is notably a hard breed to maintain, train and socialize. She was a very tough breeder, she has 2 home visits, I had to have multiple references, prove I have trained a dog before, a lot of other things. Most chessies are a one person dog, can be aggressive and can be very intense when in "work mode". The reason she doesn't want people to have a baby within 3 years is that gives you plenty of time to train the dog, get well adjusted before you bring a new born into the household. She also doesn't sell puppies to anyone with children under 5 y/o

#5 ·
Firstly, Congratulations!

Have you notified your breeder yet?

I would recommend it. If you notify her now and tell her your plans on starting desensitization with him right away, hopefully she'll be understanding and realize that you're a very responsible owner, and you can handle having a baby and a chessie at the same time. Perhaps she'll have some suggestions on how to go about desensitizing him.

Best of luck!!

#6 · (Edited)
Start being roughly affectionate. Lightly pull his tail while simultaneously giving high value treats and good rubs and scratches. Pull his ears at the same time you are giving afftection. Lean on him while giving praise.
Turn light smacks into afftection. After he begins to see tail pulls, ear grabs, leaning and light smacking as a good thing start having others follow the same process one at a time. Hand feed him his kibble while doing it. do it on walks. Feed hot dog bit and cheese and hamburger to him continuously while doing your tailpulls/eargrabs/etcetc.

Walk around the house and suddenly scream out of nowhere and feed him a treat right after. Deliberatly drop things that fall loudly and give him high value treats right at that second. start running around like a crazy person and tossing treats at him.

Also.

Work on games where he has to stay for extended periods of time. Work on Leave it very thoroughly.

And a mom to mom tip...

get him a backpack. trail a solid "heel".

Start work on targeting. train him to pickup objects nd bring them to you.

now you have a diaper bag carrier and helping hand.

oh and one more that really helps.

train him to pull.

go to a bike store. Get one of those covered bike attachments that kids ride in. they Are easily modified into dog powered strollers. Makes walks a breeze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.