Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very curious about what people expect of their pups at 6 months of age.

My last pup had her CGC at 5 months and her first rally title at 9 months. My current pup is learning impaired by those standards but is totally house-trained, has a really reliable recall, walks nicely on a least, tugs and retrieves properly, sits, downs, stays, and is working impulse control "It's Yer Choice" games. I am told she is behind schedule. I am a little nervous about pushing more, but I am inclined to trust my trainer. At core though, I am scared to push her more.

Anyone have any thoughts on what's fair to expect? Where are other pups at 6 months? Obviously, every dog and every situation is different...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Every dog is different of course. Greta, at 9 months had her obedience certification, tracking and trailing certification and cgc, and working well on cadaver.
Libby is doing puppy tracks and beginning scent detection, starting on a puppy sleeve. She is 7 months.

If started at 6 weeks I expect sit, down, stay, stand, here, go out, long down, go left and right, climb, hop, off, up, emergency stop, track and search (if using those).
I dont push however. Keep it fun and brief, add distractions and different locations. If they need to mature I let them, if they give me the finger lol, its time out, no play unless we work.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And if you don't mind my asking, do you think that there is a difference in readiness to learn across breeds? I would imagine that you selected your pups very intentionally for drive. Your breeds of choice would probably demo your home if they didn't have a job. I can see why capturing their focus at a young age would be very important, especially for the work that they do.

My whippet doesn't seem ready. My pit bulls were. Maybe I am just babying whippet too much...

I hate it when it appears that I am the problem. Hats off to you for all that you have accomplished at such a young age. Very, very impressive. Gives me a benchmark and something to think about. ( even if it makes me feel even stupider and more lazy!!!!)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow, I feel underaccomplished!!

From a noob perspective, my 6 month old is house and cratetrained, semi-reliable recall, sits, downs, walks nicely on a leash, and waits. She knows quite a few tricks, and her drop-it is fantastic (according to me, haha). She's thoroughly a pet, though. I'd like to do some dog sports with her in the future, but it's a fair bit in the future.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Wow, I feel underaccomplished!!

From a noob perspective, my 6 month old is house and cratetrained, semi-reliable recall, sits, downs, walks nicely on a leash, and waits. She knows quite a few tricks, and her drop-it is fantastic (according to me, haha). She's thoroughly a pet, though. I'd like to do some dog sports with her in the future, but it's a fair bit in the future.
Well some owners train to live and other owners live to train.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Lol don't feel under accomplished at all! Typically these breeds learn super fast, with very few repetitions. I also spend almost every minute working dogs, when I am not at work lol. They live to work and perform!

Yes it depends greatly on breed, biddability, maturity of dogs. For instance, typically, IMO, the German shepherd is far slower to mature, and not as "serious" as a mal. And yes, I have had many things detroyed, including a $30,000 horse trailer :(. They can't be left to entertain themselves, and need something productive to do. They do make awesome pets, housedogs, if trained, exercised alot, and kept busy.

If it makes everyone feel better, my shih tzu's only reliable command is sit pretty lol! She knows the German commands, even bite lol, but she doesn't care or have the drive to do anything except what she wants lol

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Lol don't feel under accomplished at all! Typically these breeds learn super fast, with very few repetitions. I also spend almost every minute working dogs, when I am not at work lol. They live to work and perform!

Yes it depends greatly on breed, biddability, maturity of dogs. For instance, typically, IMO, the German shepherd is far slower to mature, and not as "serious" as a mal. And yes, I have had many things detroyed, including a $30,000 horse trailer :(. They can't be left to entertain themselves, and need something productive to do. They do make awesome pets, housedogs, if trained, exercised alot, and kept busy.

If it makes everyone feel better, my shih tzu's only reliable command is sit pretty lol! She knows the German commands, even bite lol, but she doesn't care or have the drive to do anything except what she wants lol
Before I read this thread I was proud that my 14 w/o doxie mix was doing sit, down, touch, paw, turn around, roll over, and ringing a bell. Then I was like "Hmm.. I have some work to do!!" :D Always good to have something to strive for!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Thats awesome for 14 weeks! Its also helpful I get to group train the pups, Theo like to compete to see who can sit and get the treat faster lol. By about 14 weeks, they are seperated into two groups. The bossy pups, who tend to be competitive (dare I say smarter, rather faster to catch on) then the quieter slower pups. They verging to flourish away from the little fireballs lol.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Whose schedule? I didn't know dogs had a schedule.
Dogs most certainly have their own schedule, lol. And it typically differs immensely from the handler's arbitrarily imposed, self-serving schedule.

I would consult with the dog for HIS opinion on the matter, moreso than with the trainer for theirs.

·
Registered
222 Posts

I grew up with shih tzus, and my older dog is a lhasa. I'm amazed at the difference between them and my lab. Bones will reliably pick up a new cue/trick in a matter of minutes. I feel like the only thing holding us back is her short attention span and my inexperience, lol.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Thats awesome for 14 weeks! Its also helpful I get to group train the pups, Theo like to compete to see who can sit and get the treat faster lol. By about 14 weeks, they are seperated into two groups. The bossy pups, who tend to be competitive (dare I say smarter, rather faster to catch on) then the quieter slower pups. They verging to flourish away from the little fireballs lol.
He starts group classes either next week or the week after (the teacher said she might have to put off the start date a week). He LOVES to do commands. He is so focused (and treat driven) and is really eager to please. I'm told this must come from his non-doxie half.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
my almost 6 month old has no titles or awards. As far as training goes, she knows "Sit", "Down", "Stand", "Step", "Off", and "Crate" We have also been working a lot on socializing, getting a lot of different people to touch her paws, mouth, ears, and everywhere else.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Whose schedule? I didn't know dogs had a schedule.
Agree

Dogs most certainly have their own schedule, lol. And it typically differs immensely from the handler's arbitrarily imposed, self-serving schedule.

I would consult with the dog for HIS opinion on the matter, moreso than with the trainer for theirs.
Agree again.

What exactly is the goal of this training program you're in? If it's obedience titles, then sure, push harder at your own risk. If you want a fulfilled, happy, confident dog, then the human needs to put aside their own schedule in favor of the dog's.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I would push her til she breaks. I mean, isn't that why a person gets a pup?

It's totally all about me.

If I "will" it, she owes it to me.

No, really. I am just curious what other 6 month olds are doing. That's all. I haven't done much with this pup as she seems silly and young. We have kept it all silly and fun. Now, I am being told it's time to move forward and I am considering it. So, that's why I posted. I'm trying to decide if it's time to work a little harder. I've been pretty laid back.

She's an agility prospect but a pet first. And I would like to dabble in obedience.

My trainer's primary role is to dramatically improve my handling skills. I have been sloppy and not nearly as helpful as I could be to my dogs. My coach thinks that my pup is ready for more focus/impulse control work. I love watching her just be a pup. There must be a reasonable balance in there.

Really, my intent here isn't dark or nasty.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My 6 month old pup, Zoey, knows sit, down, shake, high five, wait, come, room (crate), up, off and have started working on stay. She's not loose leash walking yet, but she's pulling less and less. She's crate trained. She's about 80-90% house/potty trained. We have had her for almost 7.5 weeks, just finished our 4 week puppy socialization class. She is very polite and reads others dogs very well. If they wanna play she's all in, if they don't, she's totally respectful. She had been in shelters for most of her short life from what we know so I had no idea was to expect of her. She is so smart and thoughtful and she has totally exceeded my expectations, I couldn't be happier with her.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts

I think dogs have their own agenda, too :)

My dog's training didn't really start until she was over 6 months, so we're so far behind we may never catch up ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts