Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I could really be doing with some advice so I hope you all can help. Apologies in advance for the long ramble but it creates the right picture for you all.
I am British living in India. I have adopted a street dog, a young puppy, age unknown. At least 5 weeks old, possibly 7-8. He was part of a litter which lived on a street I walked by every day. At first there were 5 puppies. Slowly they all died. Finally there were two. One had a huge ulcer and infection and was unresponsive and I didn't think would make it. The other is this little one I've taken home. He was emaciated, dehydrated and extremely weak. He is 6 inches tall and weighed less than one and a half kilos. I found a local vet... and I mean local, not western standards at all... managed to get some flea and tick spray. I pulled over 300 ticks from his poor wee body. They gave me wormer liquid, which contains febantel and pyrantel. I gave him this at the dosage recommended. However no worms have been pooed out. He ate a lot on the first day but this was oats and water, because it's all I had, and he enjoyed it. The second day he was more alert and starting to follow me with his eyes as i walked around and showing some interest in his environment. I started giving him dog food for puppies which I bought. But then he vomited this up some hours later. The third day (today) he is running around, enjoys playing with newspaper and the dust brush, but he is still very wobbly. Activity wise he is getting more alert and active each day. However, he has not as far as I am aware (and I am with him constantly except when I'm asleep) taken anything to drink from the water bowl. I think he has never actually drunk anything before... I think he was feeding 100% from his mother. I have been giving him oats and water with a little milk, and trying this puppy food which I soak. But he still seems unable to co-ordinate himself to eat solid food, and he is vomiting this puppy food up after eating. Also today, I noticed his appetite is not as good, he doesn't want the oats anymore. I tried fish. I tried boiled rice blended with water and a tiny bit of milk. I tried cheese. Anything. But he's not really interested. I'm worried. Additionally because he has been vomiting and not drinking I am worried about dehydration... so I have been using a pipette to give him a little bit of water every now and then. Basically, I am concerned why he is vomiting this dog food up, and his appetite is gone... but in himself he seems much chirpier today. Secondly I cannot believe he doesn't have worms... he is a street dog! So any advice on the appetite / food / not drinking would be greatly appreciated. And advice as to when I can give another dose of wormer.... I think I may have underdosed him because I didn't have scales at the time. Thirdly, I want to get him vaccinated ASAP... how soon? I'd greatly value your opinion, because the vet that I went to was about as helpful as a chocolate teapot! Thank you all in advance.
Dominique and "Little Dog"

·
Registered
98 Posts
Go tot he website JustAnswer.com- they have online vets- it will cost you about $20, but they can be very good. Best of luck, my heart goes out to you

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Cow's milk can upset a dog's tummy. Can you get goat's milk? Much easier to digest. It may be that he's eating too much puppy food all at once, and this is making him vomit. Try giving him just a tiny bit at a time, I'm sure his stomach needs time to stretch after going so long without enough food. Try some boiled chicken instead of oats--he needs some good protein.

Some de-wormers need to be given in several doses over a few days. I think Fentanyl is one of them. . .Google the Merck Vet Manual and dosing instructions should be there. Also Gooogle "oral rehydration therapy" and make up some of that. It can be a real lifesaver when it comes to dehydration.

Don't vaccinate him until he's reasonably healthy, but also try to keep him from being exposed to disease. Since he doesn't have his mother's antibodies anymore, he may be more susceptible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just gone to the website and posted a question. Got an answer immediately. I was told not to worry, it is probably his digestive tract reacting to food having been effectively starved all his life. She suggested I add a little honey to mushed rice, which I did... and the little dog loved it. Wolfed it down! I was also told not to give more than 3 tablespoons of food at one time, every couple of hours. And I can try jars of baby food if I can get access to them since I cannot get access to puppy milk. Great website! Thank you for your post :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I avoid human milk because of the lactose and I keep things quite bland until their tummy's settle.
See now I would avoid human milk because breastfeeding a puppy?! Yow! Even expressing milk for a dog seems weird... then again some humans drink expressed cows milk, but I find that weird too. Probably goat's milk is better if puppy milk replacer isn't available.

I hope the pup continues to improve. Post some pics!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone,

Because of where I am I haven't been able to get goats milk or puppy milk. I have continued to add the smallest amounts of UHT milk to his food, more for taste than anything else. I have not gone back to the dried puppy dog food because I don't want to take chances with him vomiting it up again, and he has made amazing progress this far. At the moment his name is "Little Dog".. which seems quite apt, since he's only 6 inches tall! I have had to Bernese mountain dogs before, and he definitely seems small in comparison! I am sure his name will morph into something else as time goes by. He is showing his character already, and he is going to be mischief I can tell.
I have tried to attach to pictures... one before, the day I found him and the second 5 days later :)

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
See now I would avoid human milk because breastfeeding a puppy?! Yow! Even expressing milk for a dog seems weird... then again some humans drink expressed cows milk, but I find that weird too.
Lol, I hope LollyP meant "cow's milk." Touche, Hambonez.

Dominique, kudos to you for saving that poor little pup's life. Your efforts are truly admirable and mean the world to one little guy. Best of luck.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwwe ... what a sweet " Little Dog" ... I love that name. That pup shows a difference for sure already. It is wonderful of you to rescue him. I am sure his appreciation will be shown many times over in the future. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts